Shaking steering wheel while braking? Need help!

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Jlsthlm

Post by Jlsthlm »

Hey guys,

I have a irritating problem. My steering wheel is shaking while braking *when my brakes are warm*.

I've just got back from a tour to the Swiss and Italian alps (Stelvio pass included) and also took a lap on the Nürburgring Nordschleife on my way back. When going downhill in the alps, when braking more than just occasionally on the autobahn and after like 3 turns on the Nordschleife, the shaking starts. If I let the brakes cool down, it stops.

The thing is: I knew I had this problem, so before leaving on the trip I changed all four brake pads and all four brake discs to brand new genuine parts at an authorized Jaguar workshop in order to get rid of the problem as I figured it must be a warped disc or something. As soon as I reached the autobahn 1 day of driving later, I realized the problem was still there (!).

Videos of it happening here: https://we.tl/tRELRvehfW

So what on earth can this be? It can't be the discs as they are brand new, and the problem persisted after changing both pads and discs. Grateful for any help or guidance!

Cheers,

Jonas

Senninha

Post by Senninha »

Hi,

One assumes you put the new pads and discs through an appropriate bedding in process and several heat cycles before heading off for your driving experience ... if yes, you can cross disc warp off the potential list ...

If Jag fitted them then one would hope they cleaned the hubs before mounting the new discs ... a small amount of debris could result in the feeling you describe, particular when used in anger and heated up ....

Are they pulling up evenly? If they are out of balance L to R then again this could create the experience you describe ....

Food for thought and hope you resolve soon and safely ...
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

My friend has an M3 E46 which had the same. Brakes swapped and same issue. Brakes straight and true. Worn suspension bushes was the cause of their steering wheel wobble.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

You’re going to be embarking on a long excercise of elimination of items from worn bearings, suspension bushes, shockers, tyre pressure and wear, non bedded pads, dirt on mating flanges and a slew more.
Problem can be front or rear

I don’t think you can diagnose on the internet but would certainly start with a bedding in cycle in pads and disks
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

Jonas,

- how old is your car ;
- whats your odometer saying [ how many kms did it ride sofar];
- dou you drive it in winter [ salt ];

High km's or old age , or many, many bends, gives lead to bushings and rubbers.
But as it seems to be related to the temperature of the brakes, I guess if its run in winter or did many km's,
the pistons of the brake calipers are oval.

Erosion from simple wear or corrosion from salts..
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

I had a similar shake but it was cured when the tracking was set up properly.
davidd

Post by davidd »

When were your wheels last balanced?
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

@Davidd. If a proper garage replaced the discs, they should have rebalanced the wheels..
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Dan_Veluwe wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:47 pm @Davidd. If a proper garage replaced the discs, they should have rebalanced the wheels..
You wouldn’t normally rebalance wheels and tyres when changing disks, unless your doing on car wheel balancing
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

cj10jeeper wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:00 pm You wouldn’t normally rebalance wheels and tyres when changing disks, unless your doing on car wheel balancing
You would if the discs were warped. that generates uneven wear of the tread, hence unbalance the wheels.. ..rebalance required.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post