Engine Failure

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
SteveT555

Post by SteveT555 »

Hi,
New to this Forum and looking for help and advice please, I have a 63 plate F Type V6 Convertible, I purchased the car in 2016 with 5800 miles on the clock, with 1 private owner prior to myself.
The car is used as a weekend car etc so does very low mileage, I was going on a road trip at the end of June this year and just prior to this the Service Due light starting coming on when I turned the car off so I booked the car in at my local Jaguar Main Dealer for the Service to be carried out, this was done on the 26th June at 9800 miles, the service was all carried out with no issues or advisories and I have a video the dealer sent me showing the car on the ramp and the technician saying the car is all good as expected with such low mileage.
Anyway 3 days later while in Germany there was an awful knocking noise coming from the engine so I immediately stopped the vehicle and called out the Green Flag Rescue, the car had to be recovered all the way back to the UK and eventually arrived back on the 9th July. The car was recovered back to my local dealer that carried out the service on the car, on initial inspection they have told me the 'Big End' has failed and the engine is full of metal meaning complete engine failure. The car is obviously still with the dealer and I have been in touch with Jaguar UK Head Office regarding this, Jaguar UK want me to pay the dealer to diagnose the 'root failure' of the engine before they are willing to do anything to help with this. I am not really sure what they want me to pay for as the dealer has already said the Big End had failed causing the failure.
I feel that the Jaguar should be supplying a new engine to the vehicle free of charge, I know the car is 4 years old however it has only covered 10500 miles from new and was serviced 3 days before failure by a Jaguar dealer. Surely the car is not fit for purpose to have failed at such low mileage?
Has anyone else had this or a similar problem?
Thanks
Steve

Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

Hello

Sorry .. but all these 1st post failure threads :?:

if this is a genuine post my apologies .. also assuming no extended warranty
SteveT555

Post by SteveT555 »

Yes this is genuine, the car has been spot on before this failure, no extended warranty i'm afraid!!
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

kaspa wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:10 pm Hello

Sorry .. but all these 1st post failure threads :?:

if this is a genuine post my apologies .. also assuming no extended warranty
Kaspa. Probably more F-Type owners never go near this, or other forums. If that happened to my car, first place I’d go, for a bit of impartial advice, would be here!

Think it’s fair Jaguar want to identify the actual cause of the failure. Cannot expect them to fit new engine, no questions asked, hand it back to you, this ones on us sir.

Good luck with it though & very sorry this has happened ☹️
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
SteveT555

Post by SteveT555 »

Thanks Darren,
Yes I put it on here in case it was a common known problem and just wanted feedback from others etc.
Cheers
PussCat

Post by PussCat »

I only ever had a big-end failure once. That was when I put the wrong type of cheap oil in my very leaky Triumph Tiger Cub.

3 days after a service suggests possibility of wrong type or quantity of oil.
VROOOOM! (Pockle Pockle Pockle) MY17 V6S coupe in BRG.
Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

Hello

Yes I was thinking about this, upto the service point all was ok ... then 3 days later we have the failure

A guy at work had a RR and the young Garage tech forgot to put the oil in and started the car ... then realized his mistake, put the oil in then the customer picked the RR up from the garage.

A day later his RR was making a racket, but on this occasion the main dealer garage owned up to their mistake and purchased the car from him .. but this was also the dealer that the car was 1st purchased from as well.

But does make you wonder pure coincidence ... or something went wrong at the service ? but how would you ever know ? the fact there was a service is good ... the best we could hope for is a good will gesture from Jaguar .. but again they want a fault report conducted

this would be the benefit of a approved warranty which in this instance the OP does not have ...

regards
Gasman2

Post by Gasman2 »

Big end failure on a engine designed to be driven hard must be lubrication issue as the only other cause wld be component failure
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

Detonation can cause big end failure
MAF sensor not reading the air volume accurately, resulting in a lean mixture.

What data does the ECU store and can it be interrogated?
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

After my 12 months of ownership and experience of main dealer capability, you'd do as well to take your cars to the local primary school for a service.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post