Alternator failure.

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
scm

Post by scm »

Dealers do seem to trust their diagnostic systems more than their common sense sometimes. They'd rather replace electronic modules (often at the customer's expense) than something basic.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

I’ve had it on charge overnight with my brand new CTEK and this morning the battery was showing a full charge. I hope that’s the end of two weeks of heartache.😀
scm

Post by scm »

philmayfield wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:06 pm I’ve just got a CTEK conditioner and I’ll hardwire the socket end according to the Jag wiring diagram ....
According to the sheet I've seen for this the Jaguar charger seems to have an additional bit of wiring (apart from the +ve and -ve tags) that plugs somewhere on the left side of the battery? Anyone know what this does - is it a feed into the battery management system? Is it necessary?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

As far as I’m aware that’s a fuse. The main thing is to ensure that the negative is wired to an earth terminal and not to the battery negative as there is an intermediate battery control module prior to the negative terminal of the battery which monitors the charging current.
Hanann

Post by Hanann »

I have now had 2 alternator replacements due to oil leaks in 18 months has anyone else had this issue.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post