Alternator failure.

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

So I took it to the dealer. As soon as I got in the car it said ‘low battery please start engine’ which didn’t bode well. I got to Marshalls Lincoln and by my measurement the battery was reading 12.2 v. They checked it out and said everything read out ok but it might be a good idea to put it on charge back home. I stopped in Newark to buy a new C tech and there was a ‘battery low’ warning after 15 miles of driving. I continued the 10 miles to home and after one mile I got a ‘charging system fault’. I made it home and called Marshall’s who expressed surprise and I told them I would be calling Jaguar assistance to return it to them. That’s where we are now - awaiting the AA. My original diagnosis was a faulty alternator and I think I will be proved right. I don’t know whether to laugh or cry. The voltage is currently reading 10.9v.

cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Clearly no charge going into the battery as 10.9v now is <10% charge.
Surprised the dealer sent you on your merry way without properly testing the system
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

AA came promptly. Agreed with me it was a faulty alternator like I said last time. There was zero output. Being collected to return to Marshall’s tomorrow. I hope their showroom’s full of potential customers when it arrives on a flatbed! Once again promised a loan car and driving licence details were again supplied. The sorry saga rolls on. I must say that the AA guys were great. I’ve seen 4 now and it will be 5 tomorrow. I think I might get an invitation to their Christmas party!
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

It's back at Marshall's and I've got on loan a brand new XF Sportbrake supplied by Jaguar. They even took me 25 miles to Lincoln by taxi to collect it. Things are looking up!
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

philmayfield wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:36 pm It's back at Marshall's and I've got on loan a brand new XF Sportbrake supplied by Jaguar. They even took me 25 miles to Lincoln by taxi to collect it. Things are looking up!
I should hope so too. It'll be interesting to see what they replace this time....
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

They hope to start the diagnostics tomorrow. I understand they will have service customers booked in and that it’s the holiday season. I’ve now got the use of a brand new Sportbrake so I’m fine about that for a week at least.
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

Well, as I suggested at the beginning of this saga that the alternator was faulty it now seems that it is. A new one has been ordered for fitting tomorrow.
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

It’s home after an uneventful 25 mile drive. Delighted to have it back. I spoke to the technician who did the job and he gave me all the details including replacing the faulty gateway module and the alternator. Everything checked out after a test drive yesterday plus an overnight rest to ensure the battery charge was maintained. I’ve just got a CTEK conditioner and I’ll hardwire the socket end according to the Jag wiring diagram and give the battery an overnight dose. I had been looking round at possible replacement cars but if all is going well there is no better car. I live in hope!
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

Excellent news Phil. I think you seemingly knew more than the dealership.

Glad it sounds like it's sorted :)
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

In all things I do I try to know a bit more about the subject than the one advising me. Sometimes I wonder why I bother to ask for advice. Perhaps it’s just for reassurance! 🤞

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post