Alternator failure.

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

I had a ‘battery not charging’ warning yesterday when about 30 miles from home. I turned off the air con and decided to press on. For 20 miles all was ok but then I started to get a multitude of failure warnings and ultimately the car went into limp mode and finally came to a halt about 2 miles from home. I called Jaguar Assistance and the AA turned up within 20 minutes. I told him it was probably a failed alternator and after a few checks he agreed. He pumped enough volts into the battery to enable me to drive home. Being Saturday evening he arranged a collection for Monday morning. I’ve put a c tech charger on to keep the voltage up sufficiently to drive on to the recovery truck. My theory about the breakdown is that the car was in for an oil leak rectification recently which was spotted at the second service. The leak was from a front engine cover. I think that oil from the leak dripped into the alternator and caused the malfunction. The car has done only 10,500 miles. There was no overheating so I presume the drive belt was not broken. All will be revealed shortly and I will report back. Any other theories?

daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

I assume the AA man tested the Voltage output from the alternator - that would show up the problem.

Not good for 10k but as you say might have been another reason. Easy fix though if it is and thats a good thing!
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

Yes, there was zero output from the alternator when he tested and similarly when I checked it this morning.
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

quality of the technicians???
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

That was exactly my thought. I can’t see an admission coming if it was their fault though. I will report back. Still waiting for the AA to transport it to Marshall’s of Lincoln, the suppling dealer.
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

Well the car was delivered to Marshalls Jaguar Lincoln at lunchtime. The only reason I know this is that I've checked on the Jaguar app. and it's sitting in their compound. There has been no communication from the dealer re the receipt of the vehicle or when it might be ready. The AA man confirmed that there were no loan cars until Thursday when he phoned prior to delivery. JLR texted this morning to say they would be sorting a loan car - nothing so far. It looks like I'm in for a session of appalling customer service as it's now 18.05 and they will have gone home!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I wouldn’t tolerate such nonsense

My Evoque broke down a few weeks back and while the dealer where it was recovered to said they had no cars nor time to diagnose, one call to JLR and it went to the selling dealer by truck and a local JLR dealer sent me a 2018 brand new Disco within the hour. They seemingly have a fleet of such cars run by one of the hire companies (can’t recall the name) for just such issues
Car was fixed, road tested (seen on the app), valeted and returned in days.

Jaguar will for sure be the same

As an aside I doubt the oil leak would be anything like enough to cause the failure. My Jeep ones live submerged, full of mud and they take me 5 years average to kill. IMHO coincidence.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

Well I’ve just phoned Jaguar Assist as the dealership still has not had the courtesy to contact me. They asked for my licence details so we shall see. The car still appears to be in the dealer’s compound.
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

Still waiting to hear. Does nobody at Jaguar care about customer service? We do have 2 Jaguar cars.
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

I observe by checking online that the car is now in the workshop, unlocked with bonnet open so obviously somthing is being done. However I have received no communication from the dealership nor from JLR who were supposed to be sorting a loan car. It really is a disgraceful situation and I will be taking up a complaint with customer services but I doubt it will do any good.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post