Alternator failure.

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
TimG

Post by TimG »

So, the alternator broke down on Sunday with an unexpected failure.
It was delivered, by the AA, to the garage yesterday lunchtime.
It is now in the workshop being looked at, no doubt squeezed in around the other planned work that they do not wish to let their other customers down on.
That seem OK to me.
It's a pity the alternator failed, but with highly complex machinery (the car, not the alternator) occasional early-life failures do occur, but considering the number of components in each vehicle they are remarkably rare compared to when I started driving.
2015 V6S Convertible Stratus Grey
Heated Perf Seats 14 Way Adjust
Premium Leather
Black Pack
Black Centrifuge Wheels + Silver Propeller Winter Wheels
Meridian
Switchable Exhaust
High Perf Braking, Red Calipers
Adaptive Dynamics
Parking Sensors with Camera

philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

That is not my complaint. I realise the problem might take a few days to resolve. The problem is the total lack of communication and the failure to provide a loan car as promised by JLR. Other than a text from JLR promising me a loan car which has not materialised and thanking me for my patience I have not had the courtesy of a communication from the dealer. This is just poor customer service and not a way to attract my future business.
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

So my sorry saga continues. They eventually called me late Wednesday afternoon to to say that they’d changed a couple of modules and reprogrammed the system and the car would be ready Thursday morning after they’d seen how the recharged battery had behaved overnight. I had to chase them this morning and they said it was ready. I had a long chat with the service manager who went through the details. I told him I would give it an extended hard drive home. Back home after 50 miles of driving I checked the battery with 3 separate meters and found the voltage was 12.06 volts. With the engine running it was just below 12 volts. I called them and said I would recheck the voltage tomorrow morning and call back. Where do we go from here I wonder?
davidd

Post by davidd »

Have they replaced the alternator?
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

No, they said there was no fault indicated. I have been looking at the battery management system info. and discover that after a recharge it does a recalibration which takes it down to 12.2 volts and gradually brings it back up to a minimum of 12.6v dependent on vehicle usage. Perhaps we are in that phase.
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

I’ve checked the battery after an overnight ‘rest’ and my three test meters give readings of 12.12, 12.10 and 12.11 volts. I’m going over to Lincoln this afternoon for a further analysis. I’m more intrigued than annoyed. I do love sorting problems! :D
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

what about long term effect on your battery?
PussCat

Post by PussCat »

Dropping from 12.2 to 12.1v overnight sounds about right.

I've noticed that after I recharge, the alternator voltage (when the car is running) will drop from the usual 14.6 to 13.0 or even 12.2 for the next couple of days while it recalibrates.

It'll then settle a bit when parked, from the varous stuff that uses juice. Next time it's used, the output will be back to 14.6v.

(I've got a little Voltage and Temperature meter thingy left plugged into the cigar lighter socket, that reads when the car is unlocked).
VROOOOM! (Pockle Pockle Pockle) MY17 V6S coupe in BRG.
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

I’ll know more and will report back after my visit this afternoon. I’ve done a lot of reading and research on the subject but I don’t want to appear too cocky and smart arse when I meet with them. I’ll let them do the talking as they have to justify the work done to JLR.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

12.1v to 12.2v represents a 50% to 60% charged battery so very low
So you certainly have either no healthy charge reaching it, discharge, or failing battery
Sure the dealer will solve it
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post