Windscreen washer top up - what to use?

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
mokster

Post by mokster »

Hi,

After 2 years of having the car and the occasional squirts of the windscreen washer fluid to clean bugs and the likes, the warning message of low windscreen washer level has finally shown up.

So the question is what should I use to top up?

Tap water,
boiled and cooled tap water (reduced scale?),
distilled water (from Amazon/ebay),
Any of the above mixed de-icer (I have some left over from Audi),
Jaguar brand washer liquid,
Or already mixed from Halfords (or similar)?

What do you use?

Thanks!

scm

Post by scm »

I keep my washer bottle topped up with tap water - it gradually dilutes whatever mix was there to start with, but I've never had any problems with blocked jets, etc. I've only had the F-Type for a month, so too early to tell if it's different from my three previous Jags (2001 XK8, 2004 XKR, 2010 XKR).
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

I've been using the ready-mixed Halfords purple stuff for quite a few years.
Works very well and cheap.
Don't go buying the Jaguar stuff as it's just overpriced and won't clean bugs any better than most common brands.
XZ4

Post by XZ4 »

Tap water and screenwash for me too.

I suppose it depends on your tap water though. Very soft water where I am.
MY14 3.0S Convertible. Polaris White with black hood, Black pack, Design pack, 20" Cyclones, Red performance heated seats, heated flat bottom steering wheel, Meridian sound system, plus lots more
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

fairy washing up liquid cuts all the grim off nicely
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

gasgas wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:49 am fairy washing up liquid cuts all the grim off nicely
I wouldn't use Fairy Liquid or any other kind of washing up liquid near the car.
The detergents are incompatible with your paintwork/wax/protection as they are too strong even if diluted.

Use a proprietary screenwash as they are designed for the job.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

PhilB wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:27 am
gasgas wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:49 am fairy washing up liquid cuts all the grim off nicely
I wouldn't use Fairy Liquid or any other kind of washing up liquid near the car.
The detergents are incompatible with your paintwork/wax/protection as they are too strong even if diluted.

Use a proprietary screenwash as they are designed for the job.
Yes - and contain huge amounts of salt as the bulking agent

Stick to the same make or colour of cleaner too. After time different formulas mix to create a gel that blocks filters and jets. Problem in many little used washer systems
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

I use tap water with a little snow foam diluted into it. Ph Neutral and works a treat :D
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
chicb

Post by chicb »

I use Gtechniq G1 or before that, Rainex on the glass. Hardly ever need to use wipers or sometimes a single flick when going slowly as the rain blows off at around 30mph. Don't know the last time I used the washers as it annoys me that when my cars come back from a service there is always a bottle of screen cleaner in the footwell. Never use Fairy Liquid as it will strip the polish from the bonnet & roof where it splashes on to.
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S
mokster

Post by mokster »

Thanks all! :D

It seems tap water is the way to go and may be ready mixed solution once the original stuff has been diluted enough / completely.

I am in the North East and the water is not soft but not super hard either. I might use boiled and cooled water hoping it would soften the water a bit.

Thanks again for the responses!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post