Windscreen washer top up - what to use?

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
scm

Post by scm »

mokster wrote: โ†‘Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:36 pm I might use boiled and cooled water hoping it would soften the water a bit.
I'm no chemist, but wouldn't boiling the water actually concentrate any chemicals in it? You should condense the steam instead! ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

mokster

Post by mokster »

No idea, tbh. ๐Ÿ˜‹

I find boiled water tastes "softer" and usually see the scale sinks to the bottom. Hence it gives me the impression the water is soften. Condensing the steam would be one solution I guess but would probably easier to buy distilled. ๐Ÿ˜‹
chicb

Post by chicb »

Tap water will freeze in the winter. Use a proper windscreen washer fluid, if you can afford to run a car, a couple of pounds for the correct stuff won't bankrupt you :o
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

chicb wrote: โ†‘Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:14 pm Tap water will freeze in the winter. Use a proper windscreen washer fluid, if you can afford to run a car, a couple of pounds for the correct stuff won't bankrupt you :o
+1 :)

The other problem with just water is the nice breeding conditions for bacteria, including legionella. The alcohols in proprietory screen washes prevents or reduces the risk.

Boiling water concentrates the dissolved solids hence scale in kettles.

Fairy liquid. Really? All that care, attention and hard earned spent on detailing and paint protection stripped away at the push of a button.

If you want cheap, Aldi and Lidl sell reasonable concentrate.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post