Is this normal?

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Seacourt

Post by Seacourt »

Hi,

Looking for some guidance from others as to if their car has the same traits as mine..

Took my car in for MOT with Jag Dealer and it came back from the external MOT testers that the exhaust was allowing some gases to escape from a joint but the car still passed the MOT.

So got the car booked in with Jag Dealer for further investigation. The Pic below shows what made the MOT tester think that the back box was blowing a little.

20180904_082720.jpg

However the dealer told me that all was OK and that this was a condensation coming off the exhaust. I tend to accept this but I noticed something else recently that made me think that this is not correct, and that is this dirt coming from the tail pipe.

20180904_082634.jpg

The car has done this since the time I got it (over a year and half ago) and this dirt builds up with in a couple of days of being cleaned.

So I'd like to know if anyone else has this type of issue, is it normal, or is the Jag Dealer just fobbing me off because he doesn't want to fit a new back box..

Many Thanks

Seacourt.
F Type V6S Convertible 2013.
West London.

AL1

Post by AL1 »

I get the same soot marks on the exhausts, usually after a very 'spirited' drive.
Yet to have an MOT so can't comment on that
scharlton

Post by scharlton »

All tails pipes soot up.
For the rear box, just make sure you havn't got a rear diff oil leak. Mine had one in the past and it's left the same sort of discolouration.
2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts
Tel

Post by Tel »

All perfectly normal, nothing to worry about.
You often find little sooty pools of water under the car as well.

Sounds like your Mot tester is a little inexperienced
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's