Data Connectivity - InControl

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Plymothian

Post by Plymothian »

Hi all,

Just a quick question on data connectivity.

I just got my F-Type and plugged in an EE data SIM. I had to call EE to activate the data as there is no browser in the car and I don't have another device which uses micro-SIM cards as the F-Type does.

I'm trying to register for an InControl Navigation account (after creating a Touch Pro Navigation profile), but I keep getting the message that I need to connect to the internet and try again. The display shows a 4G signal is present and it has 4 bars, so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

I already have an InControl account from my previous car and this is already linked to the new car, but I believe that account is nothing to do with the Navigation account? I have also enabled mobile data in the Connectivity settings.

When I collected the car (only last week), I was told that a SIM would normally come with the car, but that Jaguar is having some technical difficulties with them, so can't release them yet (hence I bought one from EE - only £18 for 6GB spread over 12 months, which is the same as the Jaguar SIM apparently).

Has anyone else had a similar issue? If so, how did you resolve it? EE said it normally takes a couple of minutes to activate the SIM, but could take up to 24 hours, so that may be the problem, but then I don't think the 4G symbol would display if data was not active.

Thanks for any help.
MY19.5, F-Type V6 3.0 P380 RWD Coupe
Santorini Black, Pan Roof, Parking Pack, Cirrus Leather

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Everything you have done seems correct from memory. The only difference is that I have three.co.uk SIM.

If you go into the Nav and try and enable Traffic does that work? The Nav Live Traffic uses Google traffic data and the data from SIM card. Or does at least on MY18. That would prove whether the SIM and data is working at least as a starting point.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

As you have the 4G up and running and you can connect to mobile data then it seems the Sim is active and working.
I remember the fannying around I had to do when I got my current one with the pro.
As you have your new one on your Incontrol account ok then that seems sorted.
The Nav account thing is another registration job again.
Why it isn't just linked to incontrol I do not know.
:roll:
I had to register again with this lot : https://jaguar.here.com/ (best done at home on your lappy or whatever)
This is the one that gives the extra services such as syncing routes from your device to the car and getting the map updates etc etc.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

That has confused me. My sat nav is not signed into an account but I get map updates, live traffic and can send routes to the car via incontrol app with no issues.... !
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

simpleR wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:57 am That has confused me. My sat nav is not signed into an account but I get map updates, live traffic and can send routes to the car via incontrol app with no issues.... !
Confused me too!
I know there are minor map updates that come down the pipe to the car as you can see the dates of last updates changing in the Nav settings screen.
But to do the complete map update using the download to a memory stick method on the Pro you need to log into the "here" site above to download it.
When you first open up the nav screen do you get a "welcome.........." message with the assigned name of the car?
On picking mine up a basic login on the screen to give the car a "name" was done at the dealers.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

PhilB wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:00 pm
simpleR wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:57 am That has confused me. My sat nav is not signed into an account but I get map updates, live traffic and can send routes to the car via incontrol app with no issues.... !
Confused me too!
I know there are minor map updates that come down the pipe to the car as you can see the dates of last updates changing in the Nav settings screen.
But to do the complete map update using the download to a memory stick method on the Pro you need to log into the "here" site above to download it.
When you first open up the nav screen do you get a "welcome.........." message with the assigned name of the car?
On picking mine up a basic login on the screen to give the car a "name" was done at the dealers.
Mine says "Welcome Scott, please sign in" but I can send previous routes from the InControl app on my phone (from the journeys tab) to the car as I did it yesterday when I did a repeat of a previous journey to Preston. I regularly get a pop up saying maps updated and live traffic works so I never saw the point of signing into the Nav with an account unless I've missed something!!
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

I get the "Welcome......" but without the option to sign in and I remember doing the basic set up on handover so I'm probably always signed in.
The map updates are probably minor things like new POI's etc.
I know there are several ways to do a complete map update on the F-type depending on age having seen it in another thread but the latest should be to download a complete map from the "here" website onto a memory stick and then plug it into the car to update.

Whilst many aren't too bothered about having the very latest maps it seems a lot are almost to the point of obsession on other sites.
:lol:
Plymothian

Post by Plymothian »

Thanks all for the helpful comments. I have solved the problem - the issue was with EE and activating the SIM. My first call yesterday didn't work for some reason. But a helpful lady reset the data on the SIM and it worked.

Thanks again for your input :)
MY19.5, F-Type V6 3.0 P380 RWD Coupe
Santorini Black, Pan Roof, Parking Pack, Cirrus Leather

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post