Brakes/calipers/various

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
JaguarNo10

Post by JaguarNo10 »

The standard silver calipers on my V6 went rusty and Jaguar, either in the form of main dealer or themselves don't want to know.

The same thing had happened on a Range Rover Sport I owned previously - not covered by anything even though both vehicles were under
JLR warranties.

Oh dear.

A nod and wink from a dealer service person who will remain anonymous advised painting with Hammerite Red or Yellow.

I was sceptical - but it works a treat even on rusty ones.

No need to bother with expensive "caliper paint"

And - if you order a new one with standard calipers you could do an instant "upgrade"

Senninha

Post by Senninha »

I found using G-Technic products cleaned and protected the OEM finish of the calipers so I didn’t resort to either the boy racer red or ceramic imitation look ... just my 2ps worth ...
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Just as a pointer Halfords brake caliper paint in only £10.99 per tin and In a range of colours
Quick drying, proper product for callipers, last years and easy to apply
Done pretty much every road car I’ve owned for the last 15 years and only the second tin.
Not done the F as has factory coated calipers
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
JaguarNo10

Post by JaguarNo10 »

I can only advise the" factory coated calipers" rust and Jag won't stand by them.
Mine went on my 2014 V6 within 2 years.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

JaguarNo10 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:19 pm I can only advise the" factory coated calipers" rust and Jag won't stand by them.
Mine went on my 2014 V6 within 2 years.
Mine are 2013 50k miles red performance calipers and virtually unmarked, so oem coating is pretty durable (in some cases)
As mentioned before the only calipers I’ve not painted
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
chicb

Post by chicb »

My Range Rover Sport rear calipers have been replaced twice under warranty as the paint was coming off.(red) The rears are finished differently from the fronts which still look as good as new.
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S
basher

Post by basher »

chicb wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:49 pm My Range Rover Sport rear calipers have been replaced twice under warranty as the paint was coming off.(red) The rears are finished differently from the fronts which still look as good as new.
That's interesting...

My 400 has beautiful black front calipers, and really s**t black-ish rear ones. Dealer was unable/unwilling to paint them properly under warranty to match the front ones.

I raised issue on Customer Relations board - JLR response here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2846#p26241

When I washed my car last week, I noticed that the rear calipers are now looking a little "marked/worn" in places. I'm really not very happy about this, and don't feel I should have to pay to rectify an obvious manufacturing issue. :x
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post