ECU Remap/Tuning on V6

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Looking_4_BRG_F-Type

Post by Looking_4_BRG_F-Type »

I know the search kicks up quite a few topics on this from over the years (which I have reviewed), but what seems to be missing is feedback from those who have gone ahead with it.

Firstly, given the V6, V6-S & now the 400 Sport all share the same engine am I naive in thinking that means an ECU Remap is a relatively ok thing to be doing?

I know there will be some who have strong personal views about meddling & staying stock, but hoping to try and keep it focused on the Technical aspects of it.

1. For example, what would be the harm of having a base V6 remapped with the exact Jaguar factory ECU map from a V6-S or 400 Sport?
2. Is above safer than going down the route of a tuning shops remap that whilst having the benefit of a bit more power/torque also comes with unknown long term results.
3. What are the thoughts on the switchable remaps controlled via phone/OBD? So part of the time you can continue to drive as stock and only turn on the extra as and when really need/want it.

Secondly, I was hoping to get some feedback from anybody who has gone down the ECU Remap/Tuning route on a V6. Which Company did you use? What do you think of the results? How long have you been running with it?
V6 (340) - Coupe - British Racing Green

Tel

Post by Tel »

That all seems a bit OTT for a little extra.

You could save your money and ECU remap potential issues and just change your upper sc pulley. More torques, more HP's - Sorted.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Looking_4_BRG_F-Type

Post by Looking_4_BRG_F-Type »

Tel wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:12 pm That all seems a bit OTT for a little extra.

You could save your money and ECU remap potential issues and just change your upper sc pulley. More torques, more HP's - Sorted.
As far as I am aware the Power & Torque figures are approximately as per the below (some do claim even higher on the BHP after remap).

Jaguar 3.0 V6.jpg

So presumably the Pulley Upgrade alone on a base V6 would add 20HP & 50NM? Giving a resultant 355BHP & 500NM.

Impressive on the Torque, but not so much so on the Power given it may well be perfectly within the base V6 ability to be adjusted to the same characteristics as the V6-S or 400 Sport.

Given the price differential of the higher spec models to buy the ability to achieve similar or better performance from a base V6 for ~£1000 is tempting. Just waiting for somebody with a bit more know how and perhaps experience of having done this to confirm.
V6 (340) - Coupe - British Racing Green
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Given the difference between V6 base and S in terms of power is simply the mapping and no internal parts, then as per OP post there is no harm in doing it. Clearly the more power you take from an engine the greater the risk or wear and failures, but it's all within factory tolerances

One think that I'm clear on is that power is only one aspect, using it, stopping and cooling are as important. While the S has a LSD, I believe also larger brakes, it may have improved cooling, etc. too. I recall from my track days that you get more for your £ on brakes than power..

All said I'd have no issue with a remap as a cheap way to get the base up from 340 to 380 or 400 and would always do this ahead of pulley changes that are all about spinning the supercharger faster and mechanically ramming more into the engine. I'd never swap pulley without a competent company changing the map
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post