Bonnet not catching on one side !

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Cool Hand Luke

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

Only just got my car yesterday and opened the bonnet to behold it's beauty. On closing it is only catching on the left side leaving the right side sitting proud !!! The bracket seems to sitting in the right place and if I push the bonnet it moves down into the correct position but the catch doesn't engage :shock:

Does anyone have any experience of similar and any suggestions would be very welcome ?

Thanks
MY 2018 red convertible 380 R dynamic, black pack, red seatbelts, heated flat bottomed steering wheel, rear camera and front park aids, 20’ wheels

scm

Post by scm »

Did you close the bonnet by pushing from the front as shown in the manual? It explicitly states "Do not attempt to close the bonnet while standing at the side. Doing so may result in incorrect latching of the bonnet."
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Cool Hand Luke

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

It never occurred to me to read the manual to learn how to close a bonnet ! That worked, thanks scm :lol:
MY 2018 red convertible 380 R dynamic, black pack, red seatbelts, heated flat bottomed steering wheel, rear camera and front park aids, 20’ wheels
scm

Post by scm »

I heard somewhere that the F-Type bonnet is the largest single aluminium pressing in the car industry, so maybe that's why it's tricker to close properly.
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

I hold the bonnet at the mid point edge nearest the windscreen and drop it from about 12 inches up - no pushing!

If you look under the bonnet there are adjusters to make sure the bonnet sits correctly - maybe needs an adjustment?
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
scm

Post by scm »

daytona650 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:17 pm I hold the bonnet at the mid point edge nearest the windscreen and drop it from about 12 inches up - no pushing!
That's how I closed mine (successfully) the first time - then I RTFMed. I find it hard work closing it the official way - those struts put up quite a fight!
Tel

Post by Tel »

scm wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:07 pm I heard somewhere that the F-Type bonnet is the largest single aluminium pressing in the car industry, so maybe that's why it's tricker to close properly.
That is 100% true, and very intricate it is too. It's very flexible, hence the closing issues.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩