New tyres

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
NBC fdff

Post by NBC fdff »

Hi all. Looking for advice from those more intelligent!
I currently have factory supplied pirelli's with rears as 295/30ZR20(101Y)
Would 285/30 20 work also ? Tia
2018 2.0 R Dynamic in Carpathian Grey
Exterior black pack, Pano roof, 20" Gyrodynes and other bits and bobs ....

scm

Post by scm »

Any particular reason you want to go narrower and lower?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I assume you can get some on a good deal.
They will be 3.7% narrower and 1.1% smaller diameter, so neither is a material difference about 7 revs more per mile..
Correct rating which you don’t state for the replacement is most important
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
NBC fdff

Post by NBC fdff »

Hi guys. Option of some unwanted winter tyres from an f type but the measurements slightly different and wasnt exactly sure what that meant.
Derivative

Post by Derivative »

You'd need to have this modification accepted by your insurance company. If you unfortunately had an event that was to cost them money, and in particular a lot of money, they well may use this as a reason to say, 'sorry, you're on your own mate'.
MY2018 R-Dynamic 340 coupe
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

I disagree.
I think you’ll find this to be the accepted size for a 20” F-Type winter tyre.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
scm

Post by scm »

Lunar wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:04 pm I disagree.
Except for the SVR.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
NBC fdff

Post by NBC fdff »

Ok thanks. Anybody on here any experience with winter tyres on their F Type? I know many use only during summer but mine is a daily driver in Scotland....where it has been know to get a bit damp, cold and snowy!
Had real problems with Mercs and BMW s previously on normal tyres when inclement weather hit. The F type is more tail happy than those to start with.
Does it actually make much of a difference ? Tia.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

scm wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:22 pm
Lunar wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:04 pm I disagree.
Except for the SVR.
Indeed.
My horizon tends to end before there.
Was just looking at the cost of a new R today £97k - blimey!
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Abdul wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:16 pm Ok thanks. Anybody on here any experience with winter tyres on their F Type? I know many use only during summer but mine is a daily driver in Scotland....where it has been know to get a bit damp, cold and snowy!
Had real problems with Mercs and BMW s previously on normal tyres when inclement weather hit. The F type is more tail happy than those to start with.
Does it actually make much of a difference ? Tia.
Winter tyres will make more difference than any other feature - awd, anti-slip traction thingy, etc. - perhaps with the exception of good driving habits, such as light pedal and steering inputs and lots of anticipation.

I would say that I'm not a fan of the rain/snow setting for the throttle and transmission mapping - it feels too remote and like driving through porridge.

If you search over on the sister XE forum you'll find a lot of info and experience on this subject from last winter.

But for me it depends where you live and how far you want to get before you get stuck - no 285mm wide tyre is going to be good in the snow - and bear in mind that it's the bloke in front of you on bald tyres that will ultimately dictate your journey.

I used my car - mostly roof down! - on (new) summer tyres all last winter and there was only 1 day that I had to leave it at home - mainly due to living in a cul-de-sac and not being able to get onto the main roads.

You'll find a lot of opinions on the subject and it's certainly worth considering getting a spare set of (maybe black) wheels with some Sotto Zeros on. Winter tyres are produced to work better at lower temperatures too, but of course as the tread wears the advantage diminishes too.

So maybe not a direct answer to your question, but hopefully some useful food for thought.

If the tyres are a recent version, lots of tread, and a good price - factor in cost to change twice a year - then worth getting.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post