Knocking and thumping at rear during low speed turns

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
GARETH

Post by GARETH »

I have a 2014 model, 3.0 S Coupe.

When I turn sharp corners at low speed, there is a intermittent thumping or sometimes a groaning noise comes from the rear. It feels to me like the rear differential is resisting the wheels turning at different speeds when they need to. Its done this since we got the car at 6 months old. It was reported at first service, and we were told its normal, as our car is 2 wheel drive and has the electronic limited slip differential, and they all do that sir!

Now the car is 4 years old, and covered 30k miles, it seems to be getting a bit worse. It used to be intermittent, but now its almost every time maneuver the car at low parking speeds. Its getting annoying.

Before I send it in, has anyone else experienced this? I have checked myself, and it has already got the spring isolators fitted, and there is no sign of anything loose.

Getting worried and preparing for the first big bill !
2014 Jaguar F-Type 3.0 S Coupe in Salsa red
2021 Land Rover Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE
1968 Land Rover Series 2a 88”
1966 Land Rover Series 2a 109” ex army.

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

When I researched before buying a second hand one I came across this.

2013/14 models. Rear Suspension Thump. Cause: Absence of an isolator sleeve fitted to the rear Coil Spring. Solution: A Technical Service Bulletin details how to fit an isolator sleeve to each individual rear Coil Spring to eradicate the noise.

Not sure if this matches your issue or not.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
GARETH

Post by GARETH »

Hi and thanks for the reply. The car has already got the isolators fitted. It only happens at very low speed and when turning. Its perfect when moving in a straight line or at anything over 10 mph.
2014 Jaguar F-Type 3.0 S Coupe in Salsa red
2021 Land Rover Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE
1968 Land Rover Series 2a 88”
1966 Land Rover Series 2a 109” ex army.
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Gareth, it sounds very much like my diff did as soon as they replaced the diff seals, incorrectly, leading to a new diff. No undue sounds from mine afterwards.
Hope it's better news though for you. Do you have extended warranty as this should then be covered?
Rob
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post