Exhaust valves stuck closed

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

scm wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:15 am
DaddyDarren wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:39 am Best way to check valve operation is from cold start. Initial start should be loud, couple of seconds, followed by noticeable decrease in volume as valves close. Few seconds later press ‘loud’ button & should be noticeable deeper/louder tone.
Behaviour, as noted in many previous posts, depends on the MY. In my MY18 the loud start certainly doesn't diminish after "couple of seconds" - it takes around a minute for mine to quieten down from cold. Also, pressing the active exhaust button doesn't give a noticeable deeperr/louder tone - that doesn't happen until about 1500 rpm. Switching to dynamic does produce that effect, though.

Appreciate you putting me right 👍
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit

Topfox59

Post by Topfox59 »

Reading the posts re exhaust actuators seized. Whilst I don’t appear to have an issue(noticeable change when button pushed), I am keen this doesnt become a problem.
What sort of self maintenance can people advise?
Looking at the pdf the actuator damper is attached via a central shaft connected to a rod which is attached to the vacuum canister. I’ve had classics with vacuum dizzys and moving the rod could damage the diaphragm so you do need to be careful trying to unsieze the mechanism. Do you recommend trying to push on the rod or move the damper rod at the opposite end (using mole grips or similar to turn the assembly?)? Both have their risks, bending the rod or marring the pinion. I have some penetrant oil (better than WD) I can use but it’s likely to be ‘burnt’ off with the first use. Unlikely copperkote is going to penetrate the turning surfaces and just coat the outside. Any thoughts or is it a case of penetration oil every drive?
I’ve also investigated alternatives. Based on JLR tending not to accept this as warranty work why fit OEM if it could fail again in a short period? DAE have a couple of alternatives with 25year warranty, does this include the actuators?
MY18, 400AWD, Black Coupe, Pano, Climate Seats, Camera, Pwd Hatch, Htd Screens/Wheel
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I think I've read that copper grease spray (Screwfix) has been used by some people as a penetration lubricant. Someone will be along to confirm.

The issue seems a bit random with some exhausts sticking and others not. Had my V6 nearly six years without any problem. Friend at work has a 2014 coupe still OK.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Topfox59

Post by Topfox59 »

Yeah like everything you only hear the problems.
Often been told it’s too small but regularly mention I have a fast a**e
MY18, 400AWD, Black Coupe, Pano, Climate Seats, Camera, Pwd Hatch, Htd Screens/Wheel
Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

My exhaust seems to be fine , but the other week the rear parking sensors failed and also the camera , my friend george has a icarsoft v2 code reader he plugged this into my car but no codes were present for these faults , But he did pick up a code p2169 relating to exhaust pressure vent , george cleared the code but it came back next day , car was booked in to local jaguar dealer , and the found i need 2 rear sensors , they could find no trace of this code p2169 and promptly charged me £176 for an hours diagnostics , warranty will cover the sensors replacement and i am going to take up this diagnostic charge when i am back in early November , my research finds code p2169 could be a loose wire or faulty solenoid , so planning to have a poke about when we get a dry day , location is behind the left wheel arch
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

One of a number of previous articles about lubricating the exhaust spindles.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4436
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Deleted User 3572

Deleted User 3572

Deleted User 3572

this guy managed to free them watch the youtube vids
SCTony

Post by SCTony »

Just freed mine. Took 2 minutes.

Dealer said they couldn't free it so charged £1850 to fit a new back box....

I've made a little video for you tube.. but I mention the STEALERS name so not sure sure if I can make it public

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post