Amber Engine warning and misfire

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
pletharoe

Post by pletharoe »

Hi all,

General advice much appreciated. Whilst driving home tonight I got an amber check engine light and noticed a distinct misfire. At low RPM it sometimes cuts out and is running rich at idle evident by a lot of smoke and smell of petrol. I have an OBD reader and is has flagged up a misfire on cylinders 5,6 and 7 as well as low fuel pressure warnings on the same cylinders. I have the 8 cylinder supercharged R.

Having owned a DB9 which suffered coil pack failures in almost exactly the same way, I suspect its also a coil pack failure on the Jag, but would appreciate any input as I am yet to find anything on the web from other users. Its the low fuel pressure warning that is my worry, could it be a fuel pump? If its just coils, I have no qualms changing those myself, but a pump could be more complicated.

Many thanks in advance!

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Hi,

From what you've described my guess would be an injector failure dumping fuel into the engine.
If that is the case be careful of how far you drive as it will wash oil from the bore.
Maybe have a sniff of the oil filler and see if you can detect any petrol.
Did you notice the fuel level going down quicker than normal?
To be honest I'd get it recovered and properly investigated rather than drive it again.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
pletharoe

Post by pletharoe »

Thanks very much Lunar, but wouldn't a faulty injector only affect the one cylinder? I'm showing a misfire on 3 cylinders? I agree on not driving it far though. Its booked in on Monday but thought no harm of problem solving here first....
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Nothing on Topix other generic advice however without the specific codes or MY model its a bit of a guess. If you have cylinders 5, 6 and 7 misfire then they should be P0305, P0306 etc codes reported plus more to identify why.

P030x – Meaning, Causes, Symptoms, & Fixes
Cylinder X Misfire Detected

P030x Symptoms
Check Engine Light is on
Check Engine Light flashing
Engine runs rough and shaking
Lack of power from the engine
Fuel smell from the exhaust
Hesitations/Jerking when accelerating

P030x Causes
Faulty or worn spark plugs
Faulty spark plug wires or coils
Vacuum leak
Low fuel pressure
Camshaft sensor defective
Crankshaft sensor defective
Engine timing off
Leaking head gasket
Low engine compression
Poor quality fuel / Misfueling

Probably one for dealer who can get full codes. Good luck.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

pletharoe wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:30 pm Thanks very much Lunar, but wouldn't a faulty injector only affect the one cylinder? I'm showing a misfire on 3 cylinders? I agree on not driving it far though. Its booked in on Monday but thought no harm of problem solving here first....
You would think so at first, and it probably is only 1 injector, but if that fails open then the fuel rail will loose pressure to other cylinders on the same bank and they will also throw error codes. Consequently if the fuel pump is then trying harder the pressure on the other bank may drop too - although I'm not sure if there is a fuel pump for each bank maybe.

...ask me how I know :o

I just hope the Jag Assist bloke who turns up to trailer it doesn't have to spend the first 5 mins on the phone finding out how to take the transmission lock off!

I could have told him what to do but didn't want him grumpy when looking after my car ;)
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
pletharoe

Post by pletharoe »

Thanks again Lunar, having thought about it overnight I totally agree with your diagnosis. Having rechecked the fault codes this morning its throwing up misfires on one whole bank and a fuel rail over pressure. Combined with losing almost quarter of a tank of fuel. I think the injector is indeed at fault. Its in the garage as we speak and Ill let you know.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

They should carry out a coolant and oil test but might not hurt to request they do an oil change just to be safe.

Mine was all covered under warranty but they did charge me for some petrol because it had drunk it all and arrived nearly empty - a bit picky I thought!

All been fine since though, so hopefully you’ll be back smiling soon.
Tel

Post by Tel »

@pletharoe

Unfortunately injector issues are not a new thing. They have been reported before with similar symptoms to your description.
Id be interested what mileage you have... Other reports have been at the 20k 'ish mark.

Ensure you don't run it more than is absolutely necessary though as downstream components like cats don't like raw fuel.

To help us out more, please put your cars' description in your signature.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
pletharoe

Post by pletharoe »

Hi all thanks for the replies. The car has just clicked over 30k miles and is a 2015 R coupe. I'm dreading a failed CAT now as that's flagged up as well. It goes to the main dealer on Monday morning via flatbed but I'm fearful of a huge bill...
Gasman2

Post by Gasman2 »

another example of cheap components used in what is supposed to be a upmarket product
buy a ford fiesta and it goes forever with little or no component issues
but buy a prestige brand and the horror stories soon surface
not a great advert for jaguar and they are now switching to slovakia for production..Why...because of the bung from the EU and nice cheap labour

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post