Exhaust Dilemma

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Seacourt

Post by Seacourt »

Hi,

Got a bit of a dilemma on my hands with my V6S Convertible (2013) with Active Exhaust button.

So I have being going back and forth with my dealership about a lot of soot that is building up on my exhaust and after the 3rd time of my dealer looking at it they now tell me that I need a new back box and mid section... (I have a leak from corroded exhaust values.).

This isn't covered by my extended warranty and so will cost me the princely sum of £2,065. (Ouch!).

I don't think that 5 years is the replacement cycle for an exhaust and hence have complained to Jag Customer services who are looking into this for me.

So my dilemma is this..

Do I get a stock replacement from Jag and keep the car as designed? Although this is likely to be a mild steel exhaust that I may have to replace in the next 5 years, as it seems that they don't last that long!! :-)

Or

Do I get an aftermarket replacement exhaust? I have had quotes to fit a Quicksilver exhaust that are a little cheaper than Jag's costs. This is for a stainless steel exhaust that should last a lot longer.

Does anyone have a QS exhaust fitted and do they like it?

It would mean that I would have an inactive active exhaust button though and that makes feel that it isn't quite right for the car.

Any ideas, comments, thoughts, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Seacourt.
F Type V6S Convertible 2013.
West London.

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

If you can negotiate a big contribution it might be worth just taking that and having the active exhaust button - I couldn't live without it :D

A potential cheap alternative for the back box at least...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Jagu ... :rk:3:pf:0

Or treat yourself to a QS Christmas present!
I'm guessing with that you won't need the button anyway ;)
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Or go the Velocity AP route, there exhausts are valved as well.
Firesand Coupe R
Vossen HF-3 Satin Bronze
SVR Rear Spoiler
H&R springs
Oem Project 7 grill
VAP tune, upper and lower pulleys,
200 cell cats, induction kit.
Supersprint cat back valved back box
Loud, very loud lol
650-660 bhp
Thomn

Post by Thomn »

Hi Seacourt,
How did you resolve this in the end ? It looks like I’ve got the same problem on my 2015 3.0 Coupe. 21500 miles. Extended warranty but not sure yet if this will cover the issue. Owned from new. Don’t want to have to pay for a replacement on such low mileage and a 3 1/2 year old car. Concerned it will fail again in 21000 miles. Have looked at the quicksilver and Velocity AP options. If I do have to pay to replace it I prefer the idea of a 25 year warranty or lifetime warranty that the stainless steel exhausts come with. I should mention that it’s an active exhaust but not switchable
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

I’ve followed V6 models with both QS and VAP options and VAP is by far the nicer sound ... the owners also advise that VAP is less obtrusive in the cabin offering near OEM refinement when cruising (closed) exhaust setting ... hth
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
Thomn

Post by Thomn »

Thanks Senninha,
Much appreciated
gsxrm3

Post by gsxrm3 »

I too have been told a new rear exhaust is required as my valves are sticking on a 2014 V6s having only covered 16k miles, I have emailed jaguar and awaiting a reply. Tony Banks in Leeds will make a custom exhaust with or without the active valves.
V6S coupe in white, carbon bladed wheels, performance seats finished in red nappa, sports design pack, flat bottom steering wheel, powered tailgate, reverse camera, meridian upgrade.
Thomn

Post by Thomn »

Hi Gsxrm3,
I was told that my extended Jaguar warranty didn’t cover the exhaust valve problem. Car is 4 years old in June with 22,000 miles.
My dealer got in touch with JLR on my behalf and they agreed to contribute £1500 towards the repair. Total cost of new back box fitted was £628. This comes with a two year warranty. New exhaust fitted last week. Happy with the job.
Atb THOMN
nurgle

Post by nurgle »

I was fortunate that this issue became apparent (my vales sticking were squeaking) during the no quibble return time for a used approved F Type. Dealer replaced FoC.

Looks like this might be one of the things to have checked over in detail for any used purchase.

regards,

Rob
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

Wow I've never known modern cars to be afflicted by exhaust quality issues
My car's in for a service today and I read this post and asked the dealer to inspect it.

Question - Is the reason for these rare-on-normal-cars problems afflicting the F Type is because it doesn't see regular use LIKE most cars.

Surely the likes of Aston's, Ferrari's, Lambos must be experiencing the same ?

I'll exclude Porsche as these see higher daily use and I'd say fall's into the normal car category
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post