Car battery issue

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
player1

Post by player1 »

I recently got my front tyres changes on a 2014 f type coupe + an alignment change.

Since then I've had issues with the car battery. No matter how much I drive it, I get a low car battery warning. On top of that the car door won't always close when I press the fob key. Sometimes it will close, sometime it won't. I'll unlock and lock the car fine in the morning. Then I'll take it for a drive, get out of the car , press the lock button on the fob key...nothing happens...I don't get a warning light saying there is the fob key battery is low. Only warning sign is the low car battery one.

I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out....Any help would really be appreciated.....

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Surely it’s your car battery then.
No link to the work just done.
Maybe it doesn’t like to lock if the battery is critical and might not re-open.
Have you tried a battery / alternator check and conditioner?
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
scm

Post by scm »

I'd start by charging the battery - eliminate things in simplest first order. Maybe when the tyres were fitted they somehow managed to drain the battery?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
player1

Post by player1 »

I haven't looked into that. In the manual it said when the "Low battery warning" light comes on, drive the car for at least 30 min. Took the car for over an hour out today, but still seeing "Low Battery warning" and still intermittent issues with locking the car with the fob key.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

If you’ve driven for an hour and the problem still shows then I’d put it down to 2 issues.
1) the battery is on its way out and not accepting a proper charge (usually 1 of the cells fails)
2) the charging system isnt working corrctly

I’d test the voltage on the battery first after it’s stood and hour or so and see if your getting something like 12.5v to 12.6v workout engine running. Less and the battery is on its way out. Run the engine and get 14.5 or so and charging is fine
If you cannot test yourself get auto elec or even Halfords to test it for you
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

If you leave it in boring mode does the stop/start still kick in?

Have you tried your other fob with the same result?

The fact that it seems ok first thing but then plays up after a run seems to imply a battery drain issue or poor charging.

But don’t be mislead by theories - try to get a combination of factual information that leads you to a likely root cause.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
player1

Post by player1 »

hmmm ok thanks. I was thinking of going to the jag dealership and asking them to take a look at it since I also have the issue with the car door lock. I don't see a warning light saying battery low on the FOB key and the car starts fine when the fob key is present. Would that be linked to a low battery?
player1

Post by player1 »

Lunar wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:08 pm If you leave it in boring mode does the stop/start still kick in?

Have you tried your other fob with the same result?

The fact that it seems ok first thing but then plays up after a run seems to imply a battery drain issue or poor charging.

But don’t be mislead by theories - try to get a combination of factual information that leads you to a likely root cause.
The other fob key doesn't seem to work. Can't even open the door with it. I only switch the start button on in the beginning. I don't have it in dynamic mode.
Elementad

Post by Elementad »

How old is your car? I would say that you need new batteries in your fob and a new battery for your car.

You MAY get away with it if you buy and use a battery conditioner. On my previous F Type the low battery warning came on and I bought one of the jag conditioners (yes I know they’re badged up CTEK ones, but the jag one does have the neater cigarette style socket connector that integrates nice and neatly in the jag boot). Have always plugged this in I had no more issues and didn’t have to purchase a new battery.

I’ve heard reports that a low battery can affect gear box performance also.

My advice. Buy a battery conditioner.
F Type R AWD coupe
(Previous car) F Type V6S convertible
chicb

Post by chicb »

As above, replace your fob batteries, really cheap on ebay & invest in a CTEK conditioner. I have mine on for months at a time as the car is not used much. Starts first time.
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post