Campaign SSM74031 X152 Under body brace corrosion

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

scz4 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:38 pm It's a very satisfying job, go for it! :) Yes, I was £70 to get everything powder coated in Satin Black.

The guys asked if I was restoring a classic car lol. They were shocked to find out it was a 6.5 year old car.
Can I ask how you supported the underside of the car to take the frames off.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.

scz4

Post by scz4 »

steviegtr wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:55 am Can I ask how you supported the underside of the car to take the frames off.
I have axle stands at the front of the car and jacked up the rear by the diff and placed ramps\support under the rear wheels. I also have axle stands on "stand-by" at the rear of the car whilst working under it and the jack taking a little weight under the diff. Can never be too safe.
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

Cheers for that.
Steve.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Stuck at home but happily with my 3 day old FT I thought I’d jack it up and have a look at the bracing underneath. Wasn’t expecting to see any problems as Jaguar introduced new and improved steel bracing a couple of years ago. However, all of the parts were already showing small rust spots in a few areas!

I’ve cleaned them and applied some Dynax S50 which should keep it under control but I was concerned!

If you haven’t looked at yours yet, no matter how new, I suggest you do!

I realise my car was probably built at the end of last year (is there any way to find out when it was built?) and stored outside but it’s still not good.
scm

Post by scm »

The "TOPIx Vehicle Summary" I got from the dealer shows the build date, mine says it was built 25 March 2017.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Deleted User 1715

scm wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:22 pm The "TOPIx Vehicle Summary" I got from the dealer shows the build date, mine says it was built 25 March 2017.
Didn’t get one of those!

I’ve been on topix and can see the PDI has been done on 5 Feb and DVLA have the car as being manufactured in 2020 so I guess some time in Jan 20.
scm

Post by scm »

GusA wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:21 pm
scm wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:22 pm The "TOPIx Vehicle Summary" I got from the dealer shows the build date, mine says it was built 25 March 2017.
Didn’t get one of those!
I had to ask for it! ;)
When I was looking, I asked the dealers for details of each car I was interested in. It took a few goes with one sales guy, but my perseverence paid off eventually!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Derivative

Post by Derivative »

Is there a build date or serial number from which this problem shouldn't occur?
MY2018 R-Dynamic 340 coupe
Deleted User 1715

Derivative wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:18 pm Is there a build date or serial number from which this problem shouldn't occur?
I did a factory tour in mid 2018 and was told they were now using parts which had increased corrosion protection but clearly it’s not cleared the problem as my car shows. Even those who have had new replacements under warranty should check again, as better protection is required if you intend to keep the car a long time, as I do.
nurgle

Post by nurgle »

I got my x-braces done "free" when I had all 4 alloys re-conditioned through my local independent. No additional cost to the price quoted for the alloys. Mines a MY 2014 and they look brand new and protected.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post