Something went wrong when installing Jaguar charger kit

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Jlsthlm

Post by Jlsthlm »

Hi guys,

I just tried to install the charger kit in order to be able to connect the Jaguar "trickle charger"/ battery conditioner over the winter.

To my knowledge I followed the instructions exactly, but obviously I made a mistake somewhere. When connecting the charger kit I started with the black cable (earth) and connected it according to the instructions that came with the charger (see photo). But once the black connector touched the cable already in place, there were sparks (!) and the car alarm went off.

I figured it maybe was because the red cable also touched the body, so I connected the red cable first, and then the black one - this time without issue.

HOWEVER - now I can't close the trunk lid! When pushing the lid button the car beeps three times and nothing else happens. When connecting the charger it looks like it is charging fine. So:

1. What the hell did I do?!

2. How can I fix it? I don't dare closing the trunk lid manually in case I wouldn't be able to open it.

Grateful for any help!

IMG_20181222_004047.jpg

scm

Post by scm »

Are you trailing the lead out of the trunk? If so, make sure you avoid the lock area. when you say pressing the button, do you have power close? Maybe the power isn't enough to squash the cable? I've charged my F-Type with a 10amp mains cable out of the trunk lid (I put the charger in the boot and trail the mains cable out) and it closed okay, though I don't have power close.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Jlsthlm

Post by Jlsthlm »

Well, when I push the button to close the lid there are three beeps and then nothing. The lid doesn't move an inch. This happens whether I have the charger connected or not.

IMG_20181222_004234.jpg

IMG_20181222_004459.jpg

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

From the manual on power boot and bleeps.

Note
If a valid smart key cannot be detected within 1 m of the rear of the vehicle, the tailgate does not power-close. An audible warning sounds to indicate a mislock.

Note
If the tailgate is closed manually, the vehicle searches for a valid smart key. If no smart key is detected within 1 m of the rear of the vehicle, an audible warning sounds to indicate a mislock. The tailgate re-opens after approximately 3 seconds.

Note
If the smart key is left inside the luggage compartment and the vehicle is locked and armed, an audible warning sounds to indicate a mislock. The tailgate re-opens after approximately 3 seconds. The smart key may not be detected if it is in a metal container, or if it is shielded by a device with LCD screen. For example a smartphone, laptop (including when inside a laptop bag), games console, etc.

So beeps and power boot all seem key related.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Jlsthlm

Post by Jlsthlm »

simpleR wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:54 am From the manual on power boot and bleeps.

Note
If a valid smart key cannot be detected within 1 m of the rear of the vehicle, the tailgate does not power-close. An audible warning sounds to indicate a mislock.

Note
If the tailgate is closed manually, the vehicle searches for a valid smart key. If no smart key is detected within 1 m of the rear of the vehicle, an audible warning sounds to indicate a mislock. The tailgate re-opens after approximately 3 seconds.

Note
If the smart key is left inside the luggage compartment and the vehicle is locked and armed, an audible warning sounds to indicate a mislock. The tailgate re-opens after approximately 3 seconds. The smart key may not be detected if it is in a metal container, or if it is shielded by a device with LCD screen. For example a smartphone, laptop (including when inside a laptop bag), games console, etc.

So beeps and power boot all seem key related.
Hmm I had the key in the pocket of my jeans, so it really shouldn't be any problems to detect it. Two things that I don't know how to diagnose that cross my mind:

1. Could I have pulled the manual tail gate opening handle too hard when removing that part of the trim? If so, how do I "reset" it?

2. Could I have fried the key proximity detector when I did whatever I did to cause the sparks to go off? If so, could that be diagnosed somehow?

The engine starts just fine and there are no other warnings except that the tailgate is open when I start the vehicle. No other electrical issues from what I can tell.
TopCat

Post by TopCat »

When you were connecting the black cable and had sparks that may have been caused by accidentally moving the existing cable from the earth connection and temporarily disconnecting the battery.

It may be that the power close needs to be reset and recalibrated. Somebody on here may be able to advise you how to do it or a call to your local Jaguar dealer.

Was the car locked whilst you were connecting the charger?
2017 F Type V6 coupe, storm grey, panoramic roof, 19" wheels
Jlsthlm

Post by Jlsthlm »

TopCat wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:15 am When you were connecting the black cable and had sparks that may have been caused by accidentally moving the existing cable from the earth connection and temporarily disconnecting the battery.

It may be that the power close needs to be reset and recalibrated. Somebody on here may be able to advise you how to do it or a call to your local Jaguar dealer.

Was the car locked whilst you were connecting the charger?
Yep you were right. Thankfully the way to reset the lid/ power close function was to just manually close and lock it. So now it works again. :)
scm

Post by scm »

Amazing how such complicated cars have such simple fixes! :D
Glad you're sorted.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
TopCat

Post by TopCat »

Good to hear working fine now
2017 F Type V6 coupe, storm grey, panoramic roof, 19" wheels

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post