Locking wheel nuts

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I have managed to damage one of my locking wheel nuts. I need to replace all four and wondered if anyone has any recommendations on which ones to buy. Would like to avoid the Jaguar price of £103.
Has anyone used the McGard (24157) set sold in Halfords?
Regards

Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

I’m led to believe they’re pretty pointless nowadays as they are very easy to defeat, maybe consider just using normal nuts?

I guess some will be better than others and may be more secure, I stopped bothering with them years ago
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Thanks for the response. I did buy these wheel nuts and they do fit. Hopefully they will not be put to the test.
scm

Post by scm »

SB Wheels of Birmingham should be your first point of call for any Jaguar wheel related stuff. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Sandpitjock wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:37 am I’m led to believe they’re pretty pointless nowadays as they are very easy to defeat, maybe consider just using normal nuts?

I guess some will be better than others and may be more secure, I stopped bothering with them years ago
I fully agree - even Screwfix sell a very effective removal set for £13
One set at Halfords even advertises ‘Ideal if you have lost your security socket and need to change your wheels.’. Perhaps should be reworded as ‘never had a key and want some to sell on Craig’s list’

They may stop amateur toads passing by who chance it, but would you leave the car in such places?
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
scm

Post by scm »

I've had grief with chocolate locking nuts on two previous Jaguars, an XK8 and 2004 XKR, so when I got my 2010 XKR the first thing I did was replace the locking wheel nuts with standard ones. I had that car for 5 years and never lost a wheel. :)
I intend to do the same with my F-Type but have been too busy driving it to get round to spanners yet!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post