What’s the approved method of battery trickle charging.

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Jaguandy wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:47 am I'm another one with an Optimate 4 battery conditioner I use on my m/c. Now the Jag isn't being used, I want to connect the Optimate, temporarily from time to time with crock clips. As I have two batteries with stop start, what's the best way? A few days on each? Or is there a better way to do both together? Clarity on where to connect also appreciated, so far I think pos on the battery and neg to chassis?
I have an optimate 4 charger too (ex motorcyclist) but it’s only rated for batteries up to 50Ah capacity. The F-TYPE battery is 100Ah so this could cause issues, but if others have been using one successfully then maybe it can cope?

Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

Good point. I'll try it in a week or so. I also have a conventional charger to fall back on.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
Deleted User 1715

Jaguandy wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:06 pm Good point. I'll try it in a week or so. I also have a conventional charger to fall back on.
Please let me know how you get on
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

I connected my Optimate 4 to the car today in non-canbus mode.
The Optimate started up fine, showing a low battery condition and proceeded to push its max 0.8A to the car. After about an hour the condition moved to OK but charging, still full 0.8A steady.
So it looks like the Optimate 4 will trickle the car OK even though rated for smaller batteries.
In order to close the bonnet safely I used a tiny croc clip and wire (a multi tester cable) on the jump start post and clipped the charger croc to the other end of the cable. Earth connection seems fine clipped to the brake disc. Bonnet closed, so I can lock the car.
scm

Post by scm »

There's a negative terminal near the jump start post, any reason you chose not to use that? I've seen one guy who's run a CTEK cable into the wheel arch so he just untucks it by the wheel to connect the charger, and tucks it away again after use.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Deleted User 1715

Jaguandy wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:30 pm I connected my Optimate 4 to the car today in non-canbus mode.
The Optimate started up fine, showing a low battery condition and proceeded to push its max 0.8A to the car. After about an hour the condition moved to OK but charging, still full 0.8A steady.
So it looks like the Optimate 4 will trickle the car OK even though rated for smaller batteries.
In order to close the bonnet safely I used a tiny croc clip and wire (a multi tester cable) on the jump start post and clipped the charger croc to the other end of the cable. Earth connection seems fine clipped to the brake disc. Bonnet closed, so I can lock the car.
Good news. Novel solution for grounding via the brake discs!
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

I didn't use the earth post as my charger croc is too big, risk of the bonnet hitting it when closed. The route via the wheel arch works well for the pos wire. It'll only take a minute to hook up each time now I've esrablished the 'kit'.
I hope this is useful info for those who only have an Optimate.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post