What’s the approved method of battery trickle charging.

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Tel

Post by Tel »

KK3960 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:54 pm Gents I’m confused to which charging mode on the CTEK to select, I assume it’s the standard car symbol and not the AGM? The CTEK instructions are a little vague?
Select the car symbol and AGM.

Doubke check that you hsgd an OE AGM Fitted... It will say so on the battery itself.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩

Deleted User 1481

Post by Deleted User 1481 »

So can anyone help me with connections for an MY18 F-type convertible for a CTEK charger. I have looked at the previous threads but can't find anything resembling the distribution box shown in those threads in my boot, so I can't locate the positive bus bar to connect the charger to.

When I remove the boot lining to reveal the battery, this is what I see:

jag battery.JPG

and this is the back wall of the boot:

Jag boot wall.JPG

Any suggestions gratefully received!
scm

Post by scm »

Blimey, it's nothing like my MY18 coupe. So sorry, can't help. :(

That said, I use the clips to connect mine - it's too much hassle wiring in the CTEK connector, as there are no spare places on the positive bus. And, by coincidence, mine's charging as I type this! ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Deleted User 1481

So the red clip on the positive terminal and the other (black) clip on a stud on the floor would be OK?
scm

Post by scm »

I clip mine to the floor stud and the positive on the bus bar. Another alternative I've seen is to use the booster terminals under the bonnet - someone drilled the positive "slab" to take a bolt and connected the CTEK cable that way, feeding the cable down into the wheel arch so he just had to poke around to retrieve it without having to open the bonnet.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Tel

Post by Tel »

@pinballpaul - The design has changed somewhat....

So, chase the Red wire from the battery terminal to the fusebox.
I have a sneaky suspicion it's behind the CVD + DVS 2 Can box, but check first.

Take a photo of the fuse box and its' connections and we can guide you from there.

The negative is not too much of a worry; you connect your charger (or lead) to the negative stud on the body, NOT the battery as you will sod up the Battery Monitor System (BMS is mounted on the -ve pole)
2016MY V8R IRR
Billet OBD lock
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Deleted User 1481

Thanks @Tel - will do.
In the meantime, is there anything wrong with putting one clip on the positive battery terminal directly and the other on the negative stud?

Thanks!
Tel

Post by Tel »

pinballpaul wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:46 pm Thanks @Tel - will do.
In the meantime, is there anything wrong with putting one clip on the positive battery terminal directly and the other on the negative stud?

Thanks!
You cannot just connect the battery like the 'old days'.

On the -ve pole of the battery you will see a module mounted onto the post with the main black wire emanating from it...this is part of the Battery Management System BMS.

Whilst you 'could' theoretically connect directly across the battery, it is recommended not to do it, as it will confuse the BMS into thinking that it can throttle the output from the alternator back as the voltage will be higher than normal, and as I suggest earlier, simply connect the -ve from the charger to a suitable earth point/stud in the boot.
The positive you can go directly onto. Normally you would connect the +e to the +ve bussbar in the fusebox, however it is common to the +ve on the battery, so will work fine.

Hope that makes some sense.
2016MY V8R IRR
Billet OBD lock
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Deleted User 1481

Thanks! As a matter of interest, why would one normally connect to the +ve on the bussbar in the fusebox rather than to the +ve on the battery? What wold the benefit of connecting to the busbar be rather than just connecting direct to the battery terminal?
Deleted User 1254

Post by Deleted User 1254 »

The positive on my MY20 F Type R couple is directly connected to the busbar - nothing in between, other than about 40mm of HD cable so technically. The volts drop across that is negligable (I've measured it to 3 decimal places), so I'm assuming I could connect to the +ve terminal directly. Also the positive bus-bar box only has three connections in it.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post