What’s the approved method of battery trickle charging.

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
KK3960

Post by KK3960 »

Hi all, what’s the approved method of trickle charging my V8R and do the battery leads need to be removed? My car is a weekend toy and will need to be kept on charge.

Thanks

NCE 61

Post by NCE 61 »

There is normally a cigarette lighter socket in the boot, if not it is available as an optional kit. This is connects to the battery and you just connect the CTEK into the socket. Jaguar do there own version of the CTEK but it is about four times the price, just make sure the CTEK has the correct battery type option i.e. AGM I have a MXS 5.0 and I leave this on all the time if the car is not going to be used for more than a week.
Last edited by NCE 61 on Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
2018.5 F-Type Convertible 2.0 Litre BRG
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I know this is a constant talking point but I've left mine for 4+ weeks at a time with no issues at all. Longest time left was 7.5 weeks. This is because I work away and don't take the car although the 7.5 weeks was because of my leg.

If the car is double locked and goes to sleep properly the battery drain should be absolutely minimal. I've not had an issue yet nor do I foresee one. I've not had any low warnings either.

If your using the car once a week at the weekend then why would you need to condition the battery? My neighbor has a very old MG and that fires up every Sunday morning!! Fair enough if your taking it off the road for 6 months I can understand that.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
scm

Post by scm »

On a pedantic point, the CTEK isn't a trickle charger, it's a battery maintainer, monitoring the state of charge and topping up as necessary, so your battery is always in tip-top condition. Great piece of kit!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
PussCat

Post by PussCat »

I sometimes use a CTEK and monitor day to day voltages with a meter/thermometer plugged into the cockpit cigar lighter. It gives a continuous voltage reading, whenever the doors are unlocked/ignition on.

The CTEK works very well, but after using it, the Battery Management System (BMS) on the car promptly drops the alternator voltage from 14.8v down to 12.2v as part of its battery state testing procedure (I've read about this online from the Jag site).

The net result is that if you charge up and then take the car out for an hour's drive, then when you park up, the battery voltage may be lower (say 12.3v) than before you put it on charge. So if you then leave it parked up off charger for > a week or so, your battery is likely to be much lower than you expected.
Last edited by PussCat on Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
VROOOOM! (Pockle Pockle Pockle) MY17 V6S coupe in BRG.
scm

Post by scm »

PussCat wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:37 am The CTEK works very well, but after using it, the Battery Management System (BMS) on the car promptly drops the alternator voltage from 14.8v down to 12.2v as part of its battery state testing procedure (I've read about this online from the Jag site).

The net result is that if you charge up and then take the car out for an hours drive, then when you park up, the battery voltage may be lower (say 12.3v) than before you put it on charge. So if you then leave it parked up off charger for > a week or so, you think your battery is stuffed.
In the x150 XKs connecting the charger directly to the battery bypassed the BMS and caused problems, you had to connect to specific charging points to avoid this. I wonder if this could this be an issue with the F-TYpe.

How are you connecting to the battery?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Tel

Post by Tel »

KK3960 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:39 pm Hi all, what’s the approved method of trickle charging my V8R and do the battery leads need to be removed? My car is a weekend toy and will need to be kept on charge.

Thanks
If you use the Search feature of the forum, you will see there is a lot of information regarding this subject here already...I used the terms "Battery Charging'' for example and it returned this:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1325
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
KK3960

Post by KK3960 »

Thanks for the replies all, I have a CTEK charger/conditioner from my 911 but it’s an older version. I’ve just ordered the MXS 5.0, I’ll connect this as advised, (One lead to the body’s earth stud and the other to the electrical positive bus bar)

Many thanks
R Toy

Post by R Toy »

Hi folks,
I have recently fitted an external charging point via a magnetic plug/ socket which makes connecting a piece of cake and should you drive away without disconnecting it will snap apart with no damage.
Also the rear towing eye cover makes an ideal mounting point which saves drilling holes in the actual car and allows access .
Battery is in the boot and I found it reasonably easy to route wires from the battery fuse block , with an inline 5amp fuse.
The socket on the car has two stainless terminals which don't become live until the magnetic plug is attached so no chance of a short.
I had posted this on pistonheads so a link here if of any interest. https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... &t=1784530
KK3960

Post by KK3960 »

Gents I’m confused to which charging mode on the CTEK to select, I assume it’s the standard car symbol and not the AGM? The CTEK instructions are a little vague?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post