Prevent Keyless Thefts

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
chicb

Post by chicb »

I know you can use Faraday bags etc, but here is my method. My wife was going to throw out a stainless steel container that she kept tea bags or sugar in, so I took it and lined it with aluminium foil. Subsequent test proved I did not need the foil. Put the keys in, replaced the lid then took it out to the car. It would not open. Removed the lid & hey presto, it opened, so if you cant open the car standing next to it a scanner outside your house will not pick up a signal. The other benefit is, if you stick the container in a kitchen cupboard & your house is broken in to, chances are they wont find your keys :blub: Pic enclosed

IMAG0058.jpg

F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S

PussCat

Post by PussCat »

That's good, though if you haven't the dicipline to use a Faraday method like this, or your keys live in your pocket, you can turn off keyless open/start.

Though I cannot remember the procedure. It has been on here before, so a search should find it.
VROOOOM! (Pockle Pockle Pockle) MY17 V6S coupe in BRG.
scm

Post by scm »

chicb wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:55 pm... The other benefit is, if you stick the container in a kitchen cupboard & your house is broken into, chances are they won't find your keys
Unless they've read your post! ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Alu foil is very good at blocking signals.
I wrap it around my head and it stops "the voices".
:?
scm

Post by scm »

I just ignore the voices and carry on killing! :D
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

Bought my wife one of the faraday bags which she uses at home and when paring the car away from home in car parks etc .. works really well ...
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I got myself a faraday bag. I doubted it would work, but once I put my head in it I couldn’t hear my wife telling me what diy jobs needed doing. Brilliant piece of kit 😊
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
basher

Post by basher »

cj10jeeper wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:12 pm I got myself a faraday bag. I doubted it would work, but once I put my head in it I couldn’t hear my wife telling me what diy jobs needed doing. Brilliant piece of kit 😊
:lol:

I have 2...
...bags, not wives.
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

One thing to check if you are using the small black Faraday pouches.
I read about one that started to lose it's properties after about 18 months.
I checked mine which was about the same age and the car opened after about 3 goes.
It looks like the gold/beige shielding material can lose it's effectiveness over time and with use as it softens up.
No big deal as I just bought a couple of new ones.
So worthwhile giving them a test once in a while to make sure they are still working properly.
tuxinvader

Post by tuxinvader »

Personally, I'm in two minds about this. If some one intends to steal my car, I'd rather they do it as quickly and quietly as possible.
I don't want to be woken up by a couple of guys in balaclavas with baseball bats, especially as they'd have to pass the kids rooms in order to find me. The car's insured, a happy child hood is priceless.

I'd go for faraday cage in plain sight as a compromise.
They can't steal it without breaking in, but they don't need to wake me if they make the effort. :D

The best of all worlds would be a faraday cage collar on a big dog! :twisted:

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post