V6 18” Replacement Tyres

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Looking_4_BRG_F-Type

Post by Looking_4_BRG_F-Type »

I have read plenty of posts on here on tyres - most relate to how bad the Pirelli’s are. However, the V6 on 18 inch alloys comes with Continental Sport Contact 2’s as standard/recommended.

I am in need of some new tyres and the obvious choice, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, don’t come in F-Type 18” sizes so sadly they’re out. I have been pretty happy with the Continentals so can continue with them (also have the benefit of being Jaguar Approved). However, they are quite an old tyre now and something like the Continental Premium Contact 6 seems far superior.

- Has anybody any experience of the Continental Premium Contact 6 on their F-Type?
- Anybody have guidance/views on going away from the Jaguar Approved tyre?
- Any other recommendations for 18” V6?

ACF985EF-1446-4D04-96AC-E0126A3B042F.jpeg

AEE73F26-E9C2-4436-8689-62F22FB282B6.jpeg

V6 (340) - Coupe - British Racing Green

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

The Pirelli are good in the summer and are absolutely fine in the winter just subject to sensitive/low PSI when cold although I am AWD. Remember there are two different P-Zero compounds known as P-Zero and P-Zero NEW which doesn't really help I know when looking on Kwik Fit!! Going from a bald P-Zero in the wet to a new PS4 or anything is obviously going to be huge improvement!

Your tyres will have markings if they are homologated tyres. Either JLS all round or JLS front and AMS rear for example. As long as size, rating, etc and homologation are correct on each axle then any tyre would be officially ok. The pictures you have are of Jaguar Contact 2 and non homologated Contact 6.

I've just spent a week looking into this as my rears are down to 2mm (at 10,500 miles, fronts ok at 5mm) and have ordered a new set of P-Zero NEW rears which are AMS spec (Aston) on mine.

I am going to Pirelli UK Performance Centre on 25th Feb and will try and get some info on the different homologated tyres and structures/compounds.

https://m.facebook.com/BurtonPPC/

https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/car/marked-tyres

Decided on P-Zero NEW this time round (I'll say NEW again!) and maybe next time look for something else when all 4 need doing although finding the correct sizes in correct homologation when I have JLS front and AMS rear might (EDIT - will) be a challenge.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
BobHarrington

Post by BobHarrington »

I also need to fit new tyres, and have 18 inch wheels, so as you say, the obvious choice of Michelin PS4S are not available.
I thought I would go for Michelin P Super Sport, or Continental Premium Contact 6 .
Which tyre did you finally fit, and which would you recommend?
Looking_4_BRG_F-Type

Coincidental timing of your message as just yesterday I ordered new tyres. I couldn’t make up my mind and was just going to stick with the matching Continental Sport Contact 2, but finally went with the Premium Contact 6. I’m only changing the front at the moment as rears have a bit of life left in them. Getting fitted on the 4th April so can give you some feedback after that if helpful?
BobHarrington

Post by BobHarrington »

After more research, I think you are probably right! I’ll see if I can get the Continental Premium Contact 6 quickly and at a good price. They are for the rear tyres, and my MOT runs out today! I particularly wanted the 18” wheels for a more comfortable ride, and I’m very happy about that, but It’s a shame the MP4S isn’t available for 18” wheels.
Looking_4_BRG_F-Type

Yeah I was disappointed on the Michelin's as everybody raves about them. However, have to say I've had no major complaints with the Continentals even in the wet. I ordered mine from Oponeo.co.uk as they seem to be cheaper than BlackCircles.com. Some websites don't seem to show the Premium Contact 6 as available in 275/40/R18 for some reason, but definitely on Oponeo at the moment for £189 + free delivery.
BobHarrington

Post by BobHarrington »

Thank you for that.
Don’t know Oponeo and their reviews are awful! So reluctant to use them.
They are available on the Continental web site, but both of their local agents say they are unavailable!
I have emailed Continental and awaiting their reply. If you hear of any other garage that can get them, please let me know.
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

I use Camskill, they have 275/40/18 premium contact 6 for £185 each including VAT & delivery (UK)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post