Active exhaust and dynamic mode

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Rivendell

Post by Rivendell »

I’ve put a deposit down on a V6 340 base. Late 2015 (65 plate). Could I check my understanding that the engine will, as standard, come with an active sports exhaust. Jaguar’s current website is clear that all F Types have an active sports exhaust (https://www.jaguar.co.uk/jaguar-range/f ... ology.html) but does that mean that a late 2015 engine is the same (at least in this regard) to new units?

Secondly, what is the relationship, if any, between ‘dynamic’ mode and the active exhaust? I recognise that the exhaust valves only open automatically at around 4000 RPM without the manual switch option, but does this happen regardless of driving mode? Thank you.
BRG V6 with 20 inch alloys and the Exhaust switch!

cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

If you are the sort of person considering how an when you will hear the exhaust orchestra playing then I would strongly advocate you find an example with the exhaust switch. If not you’ll rergret it from day 1
I’d also stretch to the S if you can for the many extras it has from LSD, more power, larger brakes and typically much higher spec.
Mine’s an S so cannot answer your specific question
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I believe a base 340 MY15 would have the switchable exhaust (IE no button) as standard but of course it may have had the optional active exhaust option ticked at point it was made.

First question. Does it have the exhaust button?
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

simpleR wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:11 am
First question. Does it have the exhaust button?
Is read it as ‘no’ based on the last sentence, but could be wrong
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Rivendell

Post by Rivendell »

Thank you for the replies. No it doesn’t have the exhaust button. I’ve driven the F type with and without the button, but both cars were less than a year old and had the active sports exhaust. For me personally, I’m not worried at all that the exhaust sound is muted at low revs and speeds, but when I put my foot down, I would like the car to respond in noise as well as speed. Therefore, the ‘wait’ to 4000 revs isn’t a deal breaker at all, but if the “sports car soundtrack”, as Jaguar describe it, doesn’t happen at all, it probably would be. My question is simply about the age of the car and whether it would have the active sports exhaust as standard.

My second question is simply for interest and about getting to know the car. Put another way, what does the ‘dynamic’ switch actually do? I don’t have the owner’s manual of course, and looking on line has got no further than Jaguar’s web pages that say: “Select the dynamic driving mode to coordinate the vehicle's control systems to contribute to a more dynamic driving experience.” It’s not altogether clear what this means and I therefore wondered whether it could be linked in any way to the active sports exhaust (as well as other things by the sound of it).

Thanks again.
scm

Post by scm »

Dymanic mode makes the instruments glow red, and tightens the steering, suspension, gearshifts and engine. You can tailor these settings through the touchscreen, but only insofar as "on" or "normal". It also opens the exhaust valves at all revs, not just at tickover and about 4k. I'm sure others more knowledgeable than me can give more detail.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Rivendell

Post by Rivendell »

scm wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:18 am Dymanic mode makes the instruments glow red, and tightens the steering, suspension, gearshifts and engine. You can tailor these settings through the touchscreen, but only insofar as "on" or "normal". It also opens the exhaust valves at all revs, not just at tickover and about 4k. I'm sure others more knowledgeable than me can give more detail.
Thank you. I’ve seen a YouTube video in a car with the exhaust switch (which mine doesn’t have). When you switch to dynamic mode, the exhaust switch immediately glows red, to indicate that it’s been activated at the same time. I wonder, though, whether without the switch the same happens (i.e. the valves open) when dynamic is selected.
scm

Post by scm »

Rivendell wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:58 am Thank you. I’ve seen a YouTube video in a car with the exhaust switch (which mine doesn’t have). When you switch to dynamic mode, the exhaust switch immediately glows red, to indicate that it’s been activated at the same time. I wonder, though, whether without the switch the same happens (i.e. the valves open) when dynamic is selected.
I believe it does work the same way without the switch. The switch just enables you to engage "loud" mode in non-dymanic, or "quiet" (relatively) when in dymanic mode.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

If you want a switchable active exhaust there is a company called cccharger who make a modification that enables you to open the exhaust valves whenever you want by remote control. They have a website and the product is also currently on eBay for £118. It is simple to fit and definitely works. I have one fitted my to V6 340 F type and can confirm it really works. If you are not sure call the guy who runs the company, Clive, he is very helpful.
Rivendell

Post by Rivendell »

MikeF wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:08 pm If you want a switchable active exhaust there is a company called cccharger who make a modification that enables you to open the exhaust valves whenever you want by remote control. They have a website and the product is also currently on eBay for £118. It is simple to fit and definitely works. I have one fitted my to V6 340 F type and can confirm it really works. If you are not sure call the guy who runs the company, Clive, he is very helpful.
Very helpful, thank you. I’ve checked their website and it definitely looks the quickest/cheapest way of achieving the louder exhaust note when the active exhaust hasn’t been activated. I’m hoping I won’t feel I need it, as when I drove the F Type without the switch I actually enjoyed the relative quiet when we were on the motorway, which is where I will spend a lot of time. When I booted the car, the active exhaust kicked in and it provided an exhaust note in keeping with how I was driving. All good.

Having checked with a Jaguar dealer, it appears that on the base model, the dynamic mode operates independently of the active exhaust. This is unlike a car with the exhaust switch, which is ‘plumbed in’ to the dynamic mode to automatically activate the active exhaust when dynamic mode is selected. Driving the car will prove it one way or the other (picking it up next Saturday).

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post