Active exhaust and dynamic mode

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
scm

Post by scm »

Rivendell wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:59 pm Having checked with a Jaguar dealer, it appears that on the base model, the dynamic mode operates independently of the active exhaust. This is unlike a car with the exhaust switch, which is ‘plumbed in’ to the dynamic mode to automatically activate the active exhaust when dynamic mode is selected.
Interesting. My MY18 manual says "Note: The active exhaust feature is switched on automatically if the vehicle is being driven in dynamic mode." No mention of different behaviour with or without the switch. I await the results of your experiences! ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

Rivendell

Post by Rivendell »

Thanks scm. That’s really interesting! My vehicle is MY16 and a different engine, but the principle would be the same and I can see no reason why it would be different. I take it you don’t have the exhaust switch? Either way, I’m happy as long as the exhaust responds to the way I drive.
BRG V6 with 20 inch alloys and the Exhaust switch!
scm

Post by scm »

Rivendell wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:46 am I take it you don’t have the exhaust switch?
I do have the switch, and it works as a "loud" button in non-Dymanic mode and a (relatively!) "quiet" button in Dymanic mode.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Rivendell

Post by Rivendell »

scm wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:38 am I do have the switch, and it works as a "loud" button in non-Dymanic mode and a (relatively!) "quiet" button in Dymanic mode.
I think I’m going to have to draw stumps and see what the car actually does in dynamic mode. Having established that my car will have the active exhaust and that it will make all the sports car noise I want when I drive it like a sports car, then I’m happy.

Looking through other threads here and elsewhere, there is certainly some confusion over this. I think (but can’t be certain) that the link of dynamic mode with active exhaust (switch or no switch) is only on the V6S and above. I can’t currently find anything to disprove what the technician at the dealership told me, i.e. that on the base model, dynamic mode and the exhaust system are independent.

There may be owners of a MY16 car on here that can definitively say either way, but until I pick up the car it may remain a bit unclear. I really appreciate your info though and will return to this thread with my findings!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Sorry - can’t help as I have the S, but for sure I can overide whatever mode the gearbox or dynamic is in and open or close the valves at my discretion.

Good for silence on the motorway or coming home quick at night through partly built up areas

Great to drive like a sports car with all the noise without having to use the engine hard And end up going too quick
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Yousif

Post by Yousif »

I have a 340 base MY16 bought new and without the button. I intentionally left it off the options list because when switched to Dynamic mode the valves open at any speed. Also tightens the steering, seems to harden the damping and the engine mapping seems more agile. So if I want the noise enhancements at low speed I switch to Dynamic, couldn't see why I need another switch to do that. To get the pops and crackles you need to go into Sport as well and then you get the full soundtrack on overrun and the most glorious snort when using the flappy paddles under hard acceleration. My favourite sound is however under normal mode, hard acceleration when the valves seem to open anyway and an ungodly howl ensues. Haven't regretted not having the switchable exhaust button ever.

I think the confusion has arisen because early F-types didn't have the active exhaust as standard on the base model so it either had to be added as an option (with the button?) or a V6S ordered.
F Type 3.0V6 auto, Caldera Red, 20" Turbines, parking, visibility packs, heated steering, seats, keyless entry, folding mirrors, red seat belts.
Elementad

Post by Elementad »

The early f type S you could start the car, just press the exhaust button and the valves would FULLY open.

On the more recent models if you start up and just press the exhaust button it doesn’t FULLY open the valves. You have to put it in dynamic mode to do that.

The button only really useful now to turn DOWN the noise when you’re in dynamic mode.

I had a 2014 v6s before I got my R and when swapping a few of the dealers where explaining this to me. I actually prefer the functionality of the earlier F Types when it comes to the button function. It’s no real hardship though, I just put into dynamic mode every time I drive the car for the full noise.
F Type R AWD coupe
(Previous car) F Type V6S convertible
Rivendell

Post by Rivendell »

Yousif wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:25 pm I have a 340 base MY16 bought new and without the button. I intentionally left it off the options list because when switched to Dynamic mode the valves open at any speed. Also tightens the steering, seems to harden the damping and the engine mapping seems more agile. So if I want the noise enhancements at low speed I switch to Dynamic, couldn't see why I need another switch to do that. To get the pops and crackles you need to go into Sport as well and then you get the full soundtrack on overrun and the most glorious snort when using the flappy paddles under hard acceleration. My favourite sound is however under normal mode, hard acceleration when the valves seem to open anyway and an ungodly howl ensues. Haven't regretted not having the switchable exhaust button ever.

I think the confusion has arisen because early F-types didn't have the active exhaust as standard on the base model so it either had to be added as an option (with the button?) or a V6S ordered.
Very helpful indeed and very clear. Thank you. It aligns exactly with what scm said in an earlier post and with the MY16 owner’s manual. I now need to educate the dealer! Thanks again. Picking the car up on Saturday ...
Eamon

Post by Eamon »

Hi , my F-Type is the same as yours, but a year older. I too looked for a S model, but in the end, purchased a non S model from a main Jag dealer about a month ago. My thinking was, as I won't be track daying my car, is the extra cost that the S demands worth it to me, the answer was no. On the day I had to make up my mind, my dealer arranged an extended test drive is each model, it was this that made up my mind, and I purchased the non S. At low revs it is a sensible car, as much as a sports car can be, but in Dynamic mode (with the selector in sport) the car turns into something else - Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde, with all the theatre that the F-Type delivers so well. Do I regret not buying a S, not so far, I'm loving my car and it is a wonderful introduction to the world of F-Type ownership, and anyhow, a year down the line I can always trade it in for a F-Type that's a little more potent!
3.0 V6 Supercharged (340PS) Convertible MY2014 Italian Racing Red.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post