White deposits on intake

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
whatleytom

Post by whatleytom »

Hi there, opened the bonnet today and found there was some white deposits on the area near the intake.

Anyone seen similar? Anything I should be worried about?

Lol
64 Plate F-Type V8 R Coupe RWD in Glacier White

PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Interesting first post on here.
I'll assume you have just posted the wrong picture at this time ?
Please feel free to edit your post or I will.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I see three pictures??

The first one looks like a pair of cycling shoes where the clip has come off where it would normally clip to the pedal.

The other two are a close up of something white on some black bits. The car looks white.

Perhaps some better pictures of the car, the issue, why parts are being removed and with some background on the model etc might help.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

simpleR wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:46 am I see three pictures??
The first one looks like a pair of cycling shoes where the clip has come off where it would normally clip to the pedal.
Exactly.
Might have been better to just post pictures of the issue and more details as you have said.
whatleytom

Post by whatleytom »

Sorry, for the poor first post. Not sure how that other photo crept in. See below:

Car is a 64 plate V8R coupé. Just opened the bonnet yesterday and decided to look under the engine cover. Which is when I notice this crusty white almost salt like deposit on the front.of the engine bay on some pipework above the main intake.

Anyone had anything similar, or know what it could be?

64 Plate F-Type V8 R Coupe RWD in Glacier White
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

No idea what that cable or pipe is but why does it look like something has cut it??

IMG_20190310_124158.jpg

Tel

Post by Tel »

The small hard piping has been chafed... i.e it has rubbed against something else over a period of time.

The salty deposits you mentioned are indeed coolant leaks. This is a known problem with the F type at the front and back of the engine block.

Not too sure of the warranty stars, but judging on your signature, you need to go to your dealer and have a word.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
scm

Post by scm »

Tel wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:02 pm Not too sure of the warranty stars, but judging on your signature, you need to go to your dealer and have a word.
The OP has no signature block yet, I think you've been looking at simpleR's post which is highlighting the issue for the OP. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

scm wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:43 pm The OP has no signature block yet, I think you've been looking at simpleR's post which is highlighting the issue for the OP. ;)
Thanks SCM. I had read Tel post twice and couldn't figure it out!! Partially because they were commenting on my observation of the OP picture and secondly because I have a V6 and they don't leak water from the engine block or at least I have not seen any yet in 5 yrs LOL
Tel

Post by Tel »

That'll teach me to be clever when I've got a stinking hangover!

Well, whatever to whoever ;-)
...the pipe in question is the coolant expansion return pipe. There's one at the front and back of the engine block. They are known weak points as they are subject to extreme temperature changes and the plastic is very hard and goes brittle over time. This sn't obviously a case for a brittle pipe leak, however it appears to have been cleaned up before at some point.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩