Park Brake fault

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
PhilIOM

Post by PhilIOM »

My 2015 V6S is showing a park brake fault, which has resulted in the park brake being stuck on. When it appeared last week, I had to abandon the car and get picked up. I returned to the car the following day and the fault had cleared, but the problem has returned intermittently since.

If anyone has had a similar issue, I'd be grateful for any idea as to what may be causing it and how to remedy it. It's booked to go into the dealer to have it looked at, but if it's a simple issue maybe I can avoid a bill.

Thanks
Phil

scm

Post by scm »

Not on an F-Type but my 2010 XKR developed a park brake fault in that it wouldn't apply, it was never stuck on. It coincided with reports of low fuel, one of which happened as I drove away having just filled up! The diagnosis was a wiring fault that required the entire back axle to be dropped to gain access (a 6 hour job!). Hopefully your issue will be a lot less involved than that.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Tel

Post by Tel »

TOP-TIP

Always carry a small adjustable spanner in an F Type....

That way you can disconnect the positive terminal from the battery, leave it off for a minute or two, reconnect and hey presto, all's g2g.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Hmmm - was wondering why, when I press "Take Me Home" on the sat-nav screen I end up at my local Jag dealer.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Nick

Post by Nick »

Lunar wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:08 pm Hmmm - was wondering why, when I press "Take Me Home" on the sat-nav screen I end up at my local Jag dealer.
:lol:
Good call on the spanner.
MY15 Coupe V8R Carbon Ceramic Brakes, 20" Anthracite Wheels Panoramic Roof, Meridian 770
Bash84

Post by Bash84 »

Right so the park brake fault light and requires calibration happened to me a about 6 months ago. It went away after performing the reset procedure.

I then started getting these lights intermittently about a month ago and it became more regular after time. Performing the reset made no difference but i was able to move off.

It then got to the point where I could not move off, the rear drivers side caliper appeared to be stuck on. Luckily this always happened at home and stuck on for a few hours to a full day, after which it would randomly release and I could drive away and it would be fine for a day or so.

I was recentlty starting a 300 mile journey and it stuck again. I decided to abandon my journey and got the car recovered to my local dealer to get it looked at. They replaced the park brake actuator. Went to collect the car today, no lights and released fine there and at the petrol station. Drove 30 miles all the way home, pulled up to reverse the car onto drive and park brake fault light comes back, along with requires calibration. Performing the reset again made no difference. The calipers not locked so drove all the way back to Jag and have left with them again.

This park brake fault etc seems to be a common issue. But I have found no resolutions anywhere, other than the reset procedure or not enough juice from battery.
Bash84

Post by Bash84 »

Forgot to mention disconnecting the battery and using the emergency brake release also made no difference when it would not allow me to drive off.
scm

Post by scm »

Can you give us some details of your car - model, year, mileage, etc so folks can offer more targetted advice?

When I had issues with the EPB not applying on my previous XKR it was down to a wiring fault that required the back axle dropped to get at - 6 hours labour, apparently. I managed to get it done under warranty as I'd only had the 3 year old car for 4 months. If we knew how old your car is we could consider whether it's something that's worn out or just gone bad.

I've never had park brake issues with my F-Type, so not common for me.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
EagleEye

Post by EagleEye »

I’ve had this problem recently, 17 Plate, only had it 2 months. ‘Parking Brake Fault’ message and ‘Requires Calibration’ whenever the car is parked after this, the rear right brake locks and the car won’t move. Taken it to Jag twice, who replaced the actuator first and then the entire calliper, worked fine for a few weeks and then the fault messages have stared intermittently reappearing along with the brake locking. Thankfully the service mode reset procedure releases the brake, but I’m now thinking the only component left in the investigation is the EPB Control Module - the brain of the system...
Frottles

Post by Frottles »

I’ve had the exact same issue, where the parking brake won’t release and I’m told re-calibration is necessary. Can you guys please confirm what is the correct procedure for me to carry out?
The Jag advice is press the footbrake and action the parking brake, but is that the switch or gear lever button?
I’m booked into the main dealer next week and I’ll discuss with them also.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post