SSM Info

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Hi,

Tried to log into Topix but password must have expired or something.

Can anyone see an SSM related to the crank on the V6 please?

Could possibly be related to the harmonic damper on the crank pulley.

...more background info later!
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Probably need a bit more info: Here is everything "crank" and "SSM" related from Topix from a search.

Ingenium I4 2.0L Petrol Engine Crankshaft Damper Pulley Bolts
Global reference: SSM73770

Intermittently the vehicle will not crank . Telematics Control Unit(TCU) 1 and 2 only
Global reference: SSM73814
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Thanks simpleR.

Heading down m-way on Monday back from a weekend away when the engine decided to do an impression of a bag of spanners. Thought it was a helicopter above at first but then it got a whole lot louder.

No warning lights, temperature bang on normal, car driving normally, smooth tick-over still when pulled to a halt.

Oil didn't smell particularly burnt and couldn't see metal glitter in it. First Jag Assist bloke was a proper mechanic and although couldn't get his stethoscope in properly put his money on it being related to the crank pulley or similar loose external. Asked me to text him when I eventually find out. Said he's seen a few now with Jags and BMs and about 1 transit van per week now. I think they now have a rubber harmonic damper but the design is generally weak.

I'll post more once I have more details from the dealer, but all they've said so far is they have found metal wear and there is an SSM related to the issue.
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I don't see anything other than the crank SSM on 2.0L engines.

There is "JTB00423v3 V8 5.0L Petrol and V6 3.0L Petrol Idler Pulley Noise"
But that describes a humming noise on idle not a bag of spanners at engine speed.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Just managed to get through to the dealer this morning and they've confirmed it as SSM 72927 and related to the crank.

The known SSM means the Jag extended warranty (via Car Care Plan) can't be used and the dealer has submitted a claim direct to Jag.

This also leaves me without the guaranteed loan car, which is another problem. As service jobs are booked a month in advance the dealer doesn't have a spare car - had to let someone know this morning that there wasn't a car for them due to a job over-running.

Fingers crossed Jag deal with this honourably and don't start to mess around in covering costs in full - this is already testing my faith in keeping the car that I love and that keeps me smiling.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Um..... SSM 72927 - nothing on Topix at all about this for any Jaguar or Land Rover model.
Based on the number this would be from Q1 2017 as 72925 and 72926 are from January 2017.
Interesting but hope you get it sorted.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Thanks for the quick check simpleR - appreciated.

Had a feeling that might be the case - intriguing yep.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Just googled "ssm72927" and got one Russian hit (so to speak!) that translates as below...

https://translate.google.co.uk/translat ... rev=search

Other than the fact that it relates to an oil burner it does come back to my initial feeling that it might have thrown a bearing.

Not exactly a definitive document or root cause though.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Ah OK, that SSM only appears if I select a diesel XJ or Land Rover model.
SSM72927 - Crankshaft / Crankshaft Problem - TDv6 Diesel Engine

Odd they think that applies to your petrol F-Type......

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post