Using USB for Music

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

Just to ad to my earlier post I think from memory mine is a Sandisk 64gig. Not failed once. The only gripe I have with the whole system is the sat nav that takes me all over the place to get to destination. Which is not a bad thing as it takes longer to get there. More miles in the rice crispiemobile.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.

Backofthenet

Post by Backofthenet »

So sod's law - since i booked it in for a warranty check i can't get it to break !

debating if i should still go (still a week) - i have an issue signing into NAV anyway so might just take it along and also get that resolved - also opportunity to get software release update installed
grum

Post by grum »

Just bought an F-Type today (V6S 2014, basic sound system). Plugged in my USB and it plays but pauses briefly every few seconds. File format is AAC 320k.

Is there a recommended file format and bit rate?

Thanks,
Grum

PS no urgency, I’m enjoying the exhaust sound too much to need music :)
2014 V6 S convertible, Firesand
Interior and exterior black packs. 20" blade CF wheels, Jet with Firesand leather.
jimbo1958

Post by jimbo1958 »

grum wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:19 pm Just bought an F-Type today (V6S 2014, basic sound system). Plugged in my USB and it plays but pauses briefly every few seconds. File format is AAC 320k.

Is there a recommended file format and bit rate?

Thanks,
Grum

PS no urgency, I’m enjoying the exhaust sound too much to need music :)
Had problems with some high bitrates but all good now after re-encoding to 192kbps.
F-type v6s Roadster - Firesand
grum

Post by grum »

Thanks jimbo1958, I did see that the handbook recommended 192k or above - perhaps I went too far above :)
Interior and exterior black packs. 20" blade CF wheels, Jet with Firesand leather.
scm

Post by scm »

I record my MP3s at variable bit rate which averages around 280kbps and have had no issues with playback.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Couple of "basics" that tend to solve a few problems with the Jag infotainment systems on other models too.
Make sure you use a USB3 stick (blue in the plug end). USB2's have caused problems.
On startup wait for the car to load itself up. Often people go straight to the USB and think it's busted when in fact it's still loading.
A good guide if you have a SIM installed is to wait until the 3/4G symbol comes up and that will be about right for the USB to be ready.

As regards the nav taking people all over the place check the settings.
Route options may have things ticked that you need to uncheck.
If you want the most direct/shortest route it will just find any road in a straight line including farm tracks etc etc.
Sometimes the fastest route although longer mileage-wise is better.
grum

Post by grum »

Hmmm. I've now tried three different USB sticks and a selection of file formats and bitrates. Same problem every time, I can navigate the through the folders and files but when I select a file to play, it either displays an error message on the touchscreen (something like "file or folder not found") or the track plays but pauses every few seconds. I'm beginning to suspect that the USB socket might be a bit dodgy...oh well :(
Scorchio595

Post by Scorchio595 »

I noted similar MP3 issues if I copied Amazon Music MP3 direct to a usb stick it wouldn't play anything. However, if I used windows media player to rip from CD it worked everytime. I concluded bitrate and format were an issue so always copy music at the same format and bitrate and works everytime.
Caldera Red MY19 V8 AWD R
PDE

Post by PDE »

I use one of the SanDisk Ultra Fit 128 GB USB 3.1...

Nice and small and usb3 so its fast. so on issues with music or video also use for the map updates.
F-Type P300 R-DYNAMIC, Fuji White, 5060 20" Alloys.
Gone, but not forgotten -
Audi S3 8v Saloon
Nissan 350Z
Nissan 350Z
Honda S2000
etc..