Using USB for Music

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
SWC

Post by SWC »

Hi
I had loads of problems at first with the USB but it was solved through re-formatting.

Format has to be MS DOS FAT and the Scheme should be Master Boot Record (MBR).

My other cars have no problems provided FAT format but are not over fussy on the Scheme being MBR?

May help?
F-Type Coupe P300 - British Racing Green

grum

Post by grum »

Some good news, I found my old 30GB iPod and it works flawlessly, so no problem with the USB connection!

So I suspect it is file format issues - all my music is Apple lossless or FLAC from original CDs, which I’ve then converted to MP3 and/or AAC for the car. I noticed that they have a lot of metadata, and I’m using a Mac, so I’ll try reformatting on a PC and ripping a couple of CDs to MP3.

But that can wait for a rainy day - I’m having far too much fun in the sun :)
2014 V6 S convertible, Firesand
Interior and exterior black packs. 20" blade CF wheels, Jet with Firesand leather.
Backofthenet

Post by Backofthenet »

So Vehicle in today - jut had a phone call and dealers want to keep it a week. There are issues with media and also service dep't have had 3 failed attempts at a software update, so want Jag tech involved.

Car is going to be re-booked.

Also they have said they will replace rear cross members at same time under warranty when they have it back - although not to bad they know it's a warranty issue and are being pro-active.
Gom Jabbar

Post by Gom Jabbar »

Hi PDE

I have one of these too but it does not work so often. Is there any specific way you get the music onto it.

Steve
2018 F-Type SVR in Caldera Red with a huge amount of toys yet to be explored!
scm

Post by scm »

Gom Jabbar wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:47 pm Is there any specific way you get the music onto it.
I just create directories and copy the MP3s into them.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

This may not work for everyone, as a lot of you will like to sit back & listen to your favourite album. I create a folder on the pc. Then dump all the music MP3 format only into the folder. Then I edit every song manually to remove the track No, so they are just random songs in a folder. Then dump onto memory stick. I have a few that I use. Any size. The songs just play away from the stick in no particular order. As said will not suit everyone but I just like background music having the silly sounding V8 in Dynamic mode all the time. Hope this helps. Just to reiterate I do not copy the albums by name just the songs within the album. Meaning you may have hundreds of songs in 1 folder. Works fine for me as I like random music as opposed to a particular album. Although if you have some favourite albums there is nothing wrong with copying those & then the rest into 1 large file. With a name like my music or whatever.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
scm

Post by scm »

steviegtr wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:29 amI create a folder on the pc. Then dump all the music MP3 format only into the folder. Then I edit every song manually to remove the track No, so they are just random songs in a folder. Then dump onto memory stick. I have a few that I use. Any size. The songs just play away from the stick in no particular order.
They'll always play in the same order, depending on how the files are sorted. Instead of editing the filenames, why not just set shuffle? That's a lot quicker than renaming hundreds of files! Then you will get no particular order. ;)
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

That's what I used to do. But looking at file names on screen when playing you will have dozens of track 1 track 2 etc. I removed them so it looks cleaner. Also as a friend said to me, do you like every song in each album you have, no, so I only put the songs from each album I like in the folder. I found with so many albums on the stick I was listening to some songs I didn't care for. But liked the artist or group. So now I have all the songs I like.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
scm

Post by scm »

steviegtr wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:37 pm... I only put the songs from each album I like in the folder. I found with so many albums on the stick I was listening to some songs I didn't care for. But liked the artist or group. So now I have all the songs I like.
Yeah, I have a directory called "aardvark" for all my favourite tracks (none renamed!) so it sorts at the top of the list, and then use shuffle on it. However, in truth I very rarely turn it on since I much prefer to listen to the car itself. ;)
Backofthenet

Post by Backofthenet »

Car went in Monday 19th for the software update and have been promised an update tomorrow - 23rd August

Seems the dealership are struggling to load the current version of software and are having to get Jag technicians involved - so pretty sure it won't be back tomorrow so that will be a week.