V8 S to V8 R differences

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
DFW

Post by DFW »

Hi,

i have a '13 V8 S. in '14 the v8 was replaced with V8 R. 495 -> 550 bhp.

Does anyone know what jag did to the engine to get another 55 bhp? I assume basically the same engine.

Where i'm going with this, is thinking about some mods, but nothing too extreme. I would assume again that jag have an eye on relability as well as just bhp increases. So if it's just some thing like a different super charger pulley setup, or engine ecu that would be interesting.

I've searched, but can't finds any technical information on what the model differences are...

scharlton

Post by scharlton »

I am sure from the people on this forum that you will get some very detailed information on the changes but the same base engine does the S - 495 BHP, R - 542 BHP and SVR - 576 BHP. In addition, for reliability and 100,000+ miles life the OEM's over engineer by around 20% so there's plenty to play with.
Just don't forget, you need to also stop, so maybe worth double checking brake differences as well.
2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts
Gasman2

Post by Gasman2 »

Just ecu revision engine is exacttly the same
Tel

Post by Tel »

As already pointed out, it's an ECU map change.
There's oodles of different manufacturers on the internet that offer tunes for your S.

The best quality and most reliable (according to F-Type owners in the US and here) is Velocity AP.

A gentle mod now that your car is out of warranty, would be to go for a VAP tune and pulley.
http://www.velocityap.com/Jaguar-Land-R ... leyecu.htm

It's a relatively easy DIY job that requires reading your current cars' ECU with a Vtech reader, sending this to VAP, they remodel it, then send it back to upload to your car. You keep the Vtech box, so you can always set it back to a stock ECU tune if you wish to.

The SC pulley is removed and replaced with a smaller diameter one.
If you would like to hire a SC puller tool, contact me...it's 1/4 of the price of purchasing one.

There are subtle steering, suspension, trim and weight saving mods that were part of the switch from S to R. I've owned both models.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

From looking at a couple of used cars and reviewing VIN numbers and build sheets...... main differences seem to be:

V8S was only available as a convertible RWD up to MY15. The original 62 plates (rare - only ever seen one) and 13 plate v8S had the limited slip diff as an option which later became standard.

When the R was available as a coupe, initially it was RWD but changed to AWD later in MY16
The R added Torque vector braking and changed the steering rack from hydraulic to electric.

Other than that the engines are the same specification according to what I can find. So presuming just a re-map (that is what David Appleby website suggest as well)
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

I spoke to David Appleby about this. Or more to the point the cost of tuning & what's involved.The answer is there are a lot of things that can be done from reasonable to plain stupid. Like if you wanted the top notch performance it involved the pulley change. Chip mods. The complete exhaust system including 200 cell cats. Was around £10,000.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
DFW

Post by DFW »

thats great to hear it's mainly ecu. I think i will get it remapped.
tbh i'm not making that much use out of the stock 495bhp, so i think i will hold off on the pulley for now.

If i put the tigger i wil reply with the bhp change.
c131frdave

Post by c131frdave »

Just came across this old post and had to comment. I'm about to purchase a 2014 F Type S V8, and like the OP, am interested in "upping" it to the 550 or even 575 HP the newer cars have. Doing my research I found out that this is surprisingly cheap if you have the will (and the gumption) to do it yourself since these engines are basically all the same except for their stock "tune". The F type uses, well, a lot of Ford parts rebranded. As such, the ECU has a lot of Ford in it, which means it is accessible with HP Tuners, a US software/hardware package used to tune many different makes of cars, including Jaguar. With that, you can do whatever you want. Their website has an extensive tune repository, and even if you are not terribly willing to tune your car yourself, you can download, say a stock tune from a 2016 R, and load it into your V8 S. Bingo, bango, you're in business. I used to own a Corvette and a supercharged V8 Blazer SS about 10 years ago, and I used HP tuners quite a lot back then. It's not that difficult to learn, and with the dozens of youtube videos out now, it's pretty easy in fact.

Just another option.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post