Petrol v Performance in the F-Type

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Tel

Post by Tel »

Out of interest I have been running a totally unscientific test of three different products; Esso unleaded 95, Shell V-Power Nitro+ rated at 99, and currently on a tank of BP Ultimate at 98 RON.

All of the petrol has been purchased from busy garages, so the fuel should be fresh as a daisy.

I'm noting MPG, soot at the tailpipes and G under acceleration, and of course any noticeable differences in general driving characteristics.

Before I post my hopelessly poor results, I would like to hear from anyone else about their fuel experiences.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩

scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo »

Hi Tel,

I've filled mine up with Texaco Premium Unleaded which is rated at 97 RON. I wasn't sure that the 95 RON stuff would be good enough! I've soon found that sooty tailpipes clean up a treat with Megulars Metal Polish. Can't be having dirty pipes but appreciate that I have only two to clean whereas you will have four!LOL

Regards.

Scoobydoo

scoobydoo2014-09-03 21:45:53
Salsa Red V6S Coupe, Performance Heated Seats, Memory Pack, 20" DC Gyrodynes, Heated Windscreen, Blind Spot Detection & CVS, Meridian Audio, Powered Tailgate, Illuminated Tread Plates and Big Smile!
Selborne

Post by Selborne »

Hi tel,
I have found over the years that the only way to really tell which is best is to start with a baseline, say ASDA standard fuel, run 5 tank fulls and note the results, then run the fuel as low as possible and fill up with the different types of fuel angain 5 tank fulls of each. This is necessary as the net result of mixing fuels is to reduce the properties. Fifth Gear did a quite scientific test of the different fuels;
This provides a very good example of what can be gained, 2.5% more power for a 240bhp golf, thats more than 10BHP diffence on our Jaguars, but to be honest, it just drives better.
Personally I would not use anything other than Shell Nitro+ as anything else just makes the car feel broken !!! I even run my lawn mower on it !!
Speak soon
Jamie

Selborne2014-09-04 11:29:47
Tel

Post by Tel »

OK guys 'n gals - Here we have the official results for the ultimate in scientific petrol tests in a 5L V8S F-Type:

1st Place - Shell Nitro
2nd Place - BP Ultimate
3rd Place - Esso standard

Testing conditions:
These were undertaken within laboratory conditions on a secret 'B' road with calibrated voice overs from the other half e.g ''slow down'' ''s***'' etc:Wink
Acceleration was in a controlled 'stamp your right foot to the carpet' manner, as hard and fast as you can.
TCS was left on!

Findings:
Shell Nitro gave an acceleration G meter reading of 0.71
BP Ultimate 0.69g
Esso 0.64g
Livestock are 'moved' by the popping on overrun!
Dynamic i does have its uses
My daily driver (not the F) has nothing when I floor it
TCS almost kept me in a straight line
Other half now uses the grab handle on the dash
I was lucky the old bill weren't around!

Conclusions
For the extra few pence, I think it's worth it. The Shell does give the feeling of a little more responsiveness in the daily driving, around town and out on the twisties. I'm not sure I'd put it in my mower though - that's just too posh LOL
2016MY V8R IRR
Billet OBD lock
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo »

Hi Tel,

Thank-you for sharing your scientific findings! I shall use Shell Nitro from now on. I bet Selborne soon gets his grass cut running his lawnmower on the stuff! . Will allow more time to drive his F-Type so win, win really!

Regards.

Scoobydoo
Salsa Red V6S Coupe, Performance Heated Seats, Memory Pack, 20" DC Gyrodynes, Heated Windscreen, Blind Spot Detection & CVS, Meridian Audio, Powered Tailgate, Illuminated Tread Plates and Big Smile!
Tel

Post by Tel »

Thought I would 'revive' this thread so that some of the new folks can use the info...

Also, out of interest I filled up ¾ with Tesco Momentum 99 RON. I thought that Shell Nitro was, good, but I think this has definitely sharpened things up a bit. Feels like she has more power too, not that it is really needed. I'm hoping it's not a psychological trip!

I'll report back on the amount of soot buildup (idea of the additives that are being burnt). I have just been inside the exhaust tips with Scratch X to get back to shiny st/steel.

Tel2015-10-20 20:01:08
2016MY V8R IRR
Billet OBD lock
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo »

Hi Tel,

I've tried the Momentum from Tesco and was also very impressed with it. I only have two pipes to keep clean though.

Regards.

Scoobydoo
5AUN

Post by 5AUN »

I use Costco higher level petrol, don't know what it is called but still cheaper the Shell Nitro or equivalent Esso or Texaco equivalents
Tel

Post by Tel »

Thought I'd revive an old thread with some recent results after a year of motoring and various fuels tried.

Ranked in 1st - Tesco Momentum. Really brings out the crisp/sharp throttle response. 1.2G best recorded.
2nd - Shell Nitro. Just not as good kick in the back acceleration as the Tesco
3rd - Texaco Supreme. Really noticeable decline in performance.

Remember to factor in that I have tried my best to use stations that I know are busy, and therefore the fuel is hopefully as fresh as you can get it. Also given the ECU time to adjust fuelling by emptying as much of the tank as possible and refilling to the brim.
So, whilst it's by no means a scientific research, it is some real life results.

Be interesting to hear any comparisons form other FT owners. And, has anyone dared to try any octane boosters yet?

2016MY V8R IRR
Billet OBD lock
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
SammyV6S

Post by SammyV6S »

Good to know - I try to only ever put V POWER in mine. Hard to do when you're off the beaten track but almost always I'll go find a shell station :)
SammyV6S2016-11-08 10:58:50
MY2016 Coupe V6S in Italian Racing Red + Black pack, Black 20" Cyclones, black badges all round. VelocityAP valved Exhaust, black tips. Pano Roof, Sports seats, Cold Climate & Parking packs. InControl nav, Blackvue front + Rear dashcams.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post