Auto pop-up window hitting chrome surround

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

It is very rare for anyone to sit in my passenger seat but this weekend my daughter came for a drive. I noticed that the auto window pop-up mechanism, when closing the window, pushes the window into the chrome frame instead of behind it in the slot. It works perfectly on the driver's side. I have managed to get the window into the correct posistion by pressing against the window when I close the door. The car is about a month old and has done 200 miles. Is this easily fixed? Can I do it myself to avoid the trip to the dealers?

Thanks, Chris
2019 White P300 Coupe

scm

Post by scm »

Sounds like the passenger door may be slightly out of alignment?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

scm wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:03 am Sounds like the passenger door may be slightly out of alignment?
Yes agreed. I hope it's an easy fix. Such a nuisance doing a 50 mile round trip to fix something that should have been spotted in one of the many quality assurance stages.
2019 White P300 Coupe
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Easy to eliminate the possibility the door is out of alignment by simply looking along panels and also running a finger along the joints

It is however most likely the glass out of alignment. It has adjusters to tilt it in or out and more inside the door for forward and backwards

New car so leave to the dealer, but decide yourself if it is door or glass so they do the right job
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

cj10jeeper wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:58 am Easy to eliminate the possibility the door is out of alignment by simply looking along panels and also running a finger along the joints

It is however most likely the glass out of alignment. It has adjusters to tilt it in or out and more inside the door for forward and backwards

New car so leave to the dealer, but decide yourself if it is door or glass so they do the right job
Excellent thanks.
2019 White P300 Coupe
Jagman100

Post by Jagman100 »

Same happened to mine a few months ago passenger side and it was the door glass, it was catching on the chrome trim at the top,

I held the door open with my knee and gently (I mean gently) pulled the top edge of the window in, it will move up to one cm it worked for me,

Sometimes passengers will pull door handle then push the door open with the glass,

Also to check alignment after, put the window down then close the door then close window using global closing on key fob and monitor the fit as it goes up.

Otherwise take it to your dealer,

Kind regards,

Steve
2016 V8 R AWD Coupe Italian Racing Red, Black Alloys & Pano Roof
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

Jagman100 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:17 pm Same happened to mine a few months ago passenger side and it was the door glass, it was catching on the chrome trim at the top,

I held the door open with my knee and gently (I mean gently) pulled the top edge of the window in, it will move up to one cm it worked for me,

Sometimes passengers will pull door handle then push the door open with the glass,

Also to check alignment after, put the window down then close the door then close window using global closing on key fob and monitor the fit as it goes up.

Otherwise take it to your dealer,

Kind regards,

Steve
That is brilliant advice Steve. Thank you. I spoke to the dealer and said can you fix it whilst I wait. They haven't come back to me. I will try what you said.

Chris
2019 White P300 Coupe
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Honestly be careful forcing what is a mechanical adjustment.
In 40 years of motoring and extensive car mods such fixes have never been good long term solutions
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

cj10jeeper wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:04 am Honestly be careful forcing what is a mechanical adjustment.
In 40 years of motoring and extensive car mods such fixes have never been good long term solutions
I'm guessing this fix will work if the window position locking mechanism isn't very tight and of course the next time someone opens the door with the window it will move again and eventually it will flap around. It would be good if I could just fix it enough to leave it until it goes for it's first service. In the very old days I seem to remember cars going in for the first service 6 weeks after delivery?
2019 White P300 Coupe
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Yes - spot on. Your either forcing an adjuster to slide despite whatever locking mechanism, so if it moves it’s loose, or of course bending something, all with the risk of breaking parts
Try it with ‘feel’ and decide.

Out of UK so don’t have my manual, but window adjustment is generally easy form the correct access point and tool
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post