Stop start engine wear

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

While watching a you tube vid the other night of a Tuning company who were stripping, to rebuild a brand new Toyota Supra 6 pot. They are aiming at 1000 BHP. When they took the con rods off they remarked that the top half of the shell, the piston side, which is the thrust side & gets most hammer. Is different from the bottom half & has a special coating. This could be clearly seen as it was a brown colour instead of the dull white metal look. The guy was saying one of the reasons this is done on new cars is because the stop start eventually damages the bearings. At 1st I thought rubbish, then thinking yes I can see why. Every time the engine stops , the oil pressure drops to zero. Also it is a known fact that the worst time for engine wear is every time it is started. Makes you wonder. While stop start is great in say a traffic situation where you move 10 cars or so & stop again for a period of time. But in a creeping traffic situation it's downright aweful.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.

scm

Post by scm »

The stop/start button is the first thing I press after I start the car.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

A quick pull back on the Dynamic button will sort it too - saves having to press 2 buttons every time you drive :D
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

I also switch it off. I've asked this question as well,
I'm sure the manufacturers must have accounted for this. There's a couple of articles on the net about stop start. It's not only the mechanicals, what about the battery and the self starter ?

I think also, manufactures are betting that none of these cars will ever make it beyond the 140000km's mark as people will most likely get rid of them long before.

Specifically to sports cars and the like, the chances of these cars seeing +100000km's is minuscule, irrespective of age.
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

scm

Post by scm »

Lunar wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:28 pm A quick pull back on the Dynamic button will sort it too - saves having to press 2 buttons every time you drive :D
Does your dymanic mode turn off stop/start? Mine leaves the button lit, indicating active. :?
XZ4

Post by XZ4 »

My light stays on too but stop start never works in Dynamic mode.
MY14 3.0S Convertible. Polaris White with black hood, Black pack, Design pack, 20" Cyclones, Red performance heated seats, heated flat bottom steering wheel, Meridian sound system, plus lots more
scharlton

Post by scharlton »

Stop Start is designed into the engine and involves adding a thrust face to one of the main bearing shells that resists the forward or rear push of the starter motor on the crank. The forces are far less than the main up and down piston forces but the crank still needs to resist them.
The engine will still have all it's oil galleries full and plenty of oil around the moving parts wihile off at a set of lights so wear will mainly be limited to the starter motor and alternator which are usually beefed up.
You'll also notice the stop/start does not always work as the car is checking battery charge and condition before enabling it.
For me, I'm still amazed it is present on a 5.0L engine but I use it all the time, why not, save the fuel for acceleration, not idling.
2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts
scm

Post by scm »

scharlton wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:26 pm For me, I'm still amazed it is present on a 5.0L engine but I use it all the time, why not, save the fuel for acceleration, not idling.
Given how much fuel it will burn when idling, it's more beneficial on a V8 than on cars with only half or three-quarter engines. :D
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

scm wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:51 pm
scharlton wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:26 pm For me, I'm still amazed it is present on a 5.0L engine but I use it all the time, why not, save the fuel for acceleration, not idling.
Given how much fuel it will burn when idling, it's more beneficial on a V8 than on cars with only half or three-quarter engines. :D
I do like how most of your posts end up with an ending of 3/4 or 1/2 an engine :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have used stop/start in my three-quarter model. Once by accident as I must of forgot to switch it off.
And again once on purpose after it had been stood for 6 weeks and it worked in dynamic mode after less than a mile of driving. (Thought it a good test of the battery - all good!).
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
scm

Post by scm »

simpleR wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:11 pm And again once on purpose after it had been stood for 6 weeks and it worked in dynamic mode after less than a mile of driving. (Thought it a good test of the battery - all good!).
Ah, that contradicts XZ4's assertion above .... I'd better check mine.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post