JAGUAR 165 Multi-Point Inspection Check

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Hi All,

I've had quite a few history check PM's recently (happy to help!). One common theme is advisories on worn tyres on MOT's.

I had a search of the forum and there are references to the 165 point checks but for the benefit of everyone looking to purchase from a dealer as used approved, attached is a copy of all the checks that should be carried out.

The most common one is point 129 which states the minimum tread depth which seems to get missed. (Obviously you'll be asking for new tyres in this scenario as part of the purchase and if worn unevenly I would also be asking for a 4-wheel alignment).

Hope this helps, happy hunting!!

JAGUAR 165 MULTI-POINT INSPECTION.pdf
(58.39 KiB) Downloaded 967 times
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Yep, good one.

Additional to what you look for print it off and take it with you.

Got me new discs and rear tyres - just!
I said I didn't want Pirelli and, as the Michelin weren't listed on their internal OEM options, I got a great pair of Continental ForceContact
If only they came with a bit more tread depth when new they might of lasted more than 7k miles!

EDIT
Looking at the first question it might be handy to upload the UK one too.

EDIT EDIT :D
The lack of item 6 - a full (to date and mileage!) service history - doesn't always seem to be a reason not to "pass" the 165 point check.

Ooh - also check the date on the tyre repair gunk and get them to replace it.
You'll hopefully never need it - and if you do chances are it might not work - but hey.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Lunar wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:59 pm Yep, good one.

EDIT - Looking at the first question it might be handy to upload the UK one too.
Oddly couldn't find the UK specific one but it is the same details (apart from American spellings - tire for example). Another member used it to get new tyres a week after picking up a used approved so I know it works/is accepted.
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Hmmm!
165 multi point inspection obviously doesn't include looking for weeping diff seals!
Bought mine from a JLR dealer in Coventry.
Got it home to Dorset.
Next day drove it out of the garage to see oil spots on the floor. Looked underneath and the diff was wet.
The dealer said it wouldn't have been weeping when collected as it had gone through said 165 point inspection and had been serviced by them....really!!!

Tyres were picked up on the inspection and 4 new "J" Pirellis were provided. Maybe the apprentice who does this inspection doesn't like getting under the car?

I did get a new diff though.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
Backofthenet

Post by Backofthenet »

Isnt this a USA checklist not UK & Europe?

I thought in UK the tyre min tread was 3mm not 3.96 as per USA - anyway I got new rear tyres when i purchased - one tyre was 2.9 mm at rear but of course you have to replace in a set so had both rears done. I did pay to have the fronts done at the same time as they were 4mm but thought might as well get them done as well.

PS i could not find the UK equivalent check list and the dealership would not commit at first on the minimum tread depth for used approved vehicles
scm

Post by scm »

Backofthenet wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:54 pm I thought in UK the tyre min tread was 3mm ...
The UK legal limit is 1.6mm all round the tyre across the central three-quarters of the tread, way too much wear for safety. :?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Backofthenet

Post by Backofthenet »

agree about the legal limit but thought Jag UK worked on 3mm as part of the 165 point check not 3.9 mm
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I cannot find a UK one.

I posted this to highlight the 165 check and what it includes because on the back of a long list of history checks low tyre tread is a common theme on used approved and if your in the know you can actually get new tyres for free.
Backofthenet

Post by Backofthenet »

Yep - worked for me with one rear tyre down to 2.9mm - got two rear tyres fitted.
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

When we bought our other car a BMW M, it had almost new tyres but not what BMW recommend.
After a bit of hassle they fitted 4 new Michelin MPSS tyres.
So not only checking if the tread depth is correct, but also that they comply with JLR specification is worth the effort.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post