idle vibration

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
SOLDES

Post by SOLDES »

Hello everyone,

The car always had a relative rough idle since new and I thought it was due to break in.

Most of the time it’s not too bad although rougher then my previous cars but recently it sometimes gets to the point of teeth rattling rough. It’s not all the time but when it happens it feels like something switches and it starts vibrating.
Raise the idle a bit and it disappears. (In drive at a stop light for example)

I’ve read about the motor mounts on other Jaguar models which seem to be prone to failure even on relatively new low mileage cars.

Does anyone know if the F-type has the same motor mounts with vacuum applied or experienced the same thing with their F-type (P300)

Thanks,
Nick
P300 First edition
Eiger grey / Mars red

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

My V6 had a rough idle just before it through an engine warning light which ended up being an oxygen sensor failure if that helps.

Trip to the dealer I thinks.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
NCE 61

Post by NCE 61 »

Should not be like that, my P300 did vibrate a bit when new on a cold start, but smoothed out with use. As suggested get it checked out by your dealership.
2018.5 F-Type Convertible 2.0 Litre BRG
SOLDES

Post by SOLDES »

Definitely will go to dealer, just stocking up some ammo to counter 'we can't find anything wrong statement' :)

Nick
P300 First edition
Eiger grey / Mars red
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

The vibration at idle is a classic symptom of engine mount issues on the XE at least.
I would think (happy to be proved wrong) that the ingenium 4 might well have the same mounts in the F-Type.
If it does then make sure they get it up on the ramp and conduct a vacuum test on the system.
It could be as simple as one of the vacuum hoses coming lose/disconnected rather than a mount failing on such a new car.
There is an SSM from 2016 for the XE,XF and F-Pace about this issue but this was of course before the engine went in the F-Type so it isn't mentioned:
"Topix SSM72758 references
Issue: Excessive vibration of vehicle and exhaust system when stationary at idle
Cause: Engine mount not switching into idle condition references faulty hoses to engine mounts."

Other causes have been found to be missing/failed exhaust dampers so ensure they check those as well.
Good luck !
SOLDES

Post by SOLDES »

Great info Phil thank you. That's the ammo I'm looking for :)
It's happening erratically so I guess it will be a struggle anyway
Nick
P300 First edition
Eiger grey / Mars red
SOLDES

Post by SOLDES »

as expected, can't replicate. They did a thorough check (or so I hope to believe). As usual it didn't happen when I was there. The crickets soundtrack which comes and goes (loud hearable over the radio) wasn't audiable either so they resorted to just a oil change.
Only way is to drop by when one or both symthomps are apparent.
Nick
P300 First edition
Eiger grey / Mars red
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

PhilB wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:48 am The vibration at idle is a classic symptom of engine mount issues on the XE at least.
I would think (happy to be proved wrong) that the ingenium 4 might well have the same mounts in the F-Type.
@PhilB : spot on !
I had this irritating buzzing vibration when changing down gears and leaning into a curve. We noticed it at around 1300rpm every time.
Later we also heared it at higher revs . I reported it in march before the first service, but they couldn't trace it or even hear it they said.

I pointed out the vibration in the roadmovie I did from our alpine tour, and the guys at the dealers started to hear it also when I did not tell them.
So two months ago I booked it in for trouble shooting, thinking it was somewhere in the dashboard as I heared it loudest in the dashcam recordings, in the middle on top of the dashboard. They had the car for two weeks while I was in Portugal, but they didn't find a lead then. They were getting really upset about the noise, almost working like the proverbial finger to them "..you-can-not-solve-this.." .

Its back in the shop since last week. They started with taking the centre console out and it became louder. They took the whole dashboard out and it became louder. With an optical fibre cam they found a vibrating plate. The removed it, but the plate was only a result of the vibration not the source.

They then removed a bracket from under the car and fixed it more secure.. .. no result. Now they took the front windshield out and the noise is pretty loud.. ... :o

The mechanic mentioned he could generate the sound standing still and revving the engine.. ..which made me think.

Revving the engine tilts it. Changing down gears and braking on the engine tilts it... .. both pointing to the same thing : engine mounts.

Then I thought : take a look at the XE forum as the enginium engine has been around before the P300 in the XE..

There I found two threads about the subject. One about a disconntected vacuum tube [ I didn't even know the dampers were active !],
the other started with 'not the engine mounts' , but eventually they were at fault.

So I kind of 'reverse-engineered' the problem and only found this thread looking for my own previous thread about a vibration.. :roll:

So I flagged the garage to check if the mounts are maybe the same partnumber and to check the vacuumline.. :ugeek:

To be continued....

[ thing is : I am organising the Dutch Highlands tour this sunday.. ..might appear in a BRG V6 from the dealer.. :oops: ]
Last edited by Dan_Veluwe on Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

SOLDES wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:23 am The crickets soundtrack which comes and goes (loud hearable over the radio) wasn't audiable either so they resorted to just a oil change.
See the thread on the firmware update : it mentions these sounds in the radio signal !

"... AUDIO QUALITY
The user should longer hear sporadic popping sounds coming from the speakers.. "

thread : viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3279&start=30#p36359

Are you coming to the tour on sunday : my son and I can teach you to generate the vibration... 8-)

And we probably have the solution also by then.. :mrgreen:
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|
SOLDES

Post by SOLDES »

Seems like your dealer is more proactive then mine, tearing up the whole car!
Going to inspect the dampers and vacuum hoses myself this weekend. I also noticed that the vibration is gone when the car is up to temperature. silky smooth then. So the first km's in stop and go traffic are really annoying. vibration through the seat and steering wheel. shameful when you give someone a ride along …
and on that note, either my steering column tilt motor is dying or it still suffers from that wavy washer being too strong so the torque limiter kicks in. sometimes the steering column stays in the upright position when starting or doesn't move out of the way during shutdown. But for the rest still smiles from ear to ear.
Nick
P300 First edition
Eiger grey / Mars red

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post