Sport mode v Dynamic?

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
SOLDES

Post by SOLDES »

it hasn't been mentioned but when

in sport (and or dynamic mode)
manually shifting

you do a kick down (click at the end of the go pedal stroke) it WILL downshift to the lowest gear the car still thinks is ok … I had this on the highway once while playing around and I actually thought I had overreved the engine.
It downshifted and within a few 10' of a second i hit the rev limiter, gear indicator blinking white). I didn't expect the car to do that in manual mode so it caught me of guard and longer to process what was happening as at first I thought it got bumped in neutral :)

Nick
P300 First edition
Eiger grey / Mars red

scm

Post by scm »

SOLDES wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:18 pm it hasn't been mentioned but when

in sport (and or dynamic mode)
manually shifting

you do a kick down (click at the end of the go pedal stroke) it WILL downshift to the lowest gear the car still thinks is ok … I had this on the highway once while playing around and I actually thought I had overreved the engine.
It downshifted and within a few 10' of a second i hit the rev limiter, gear indicator blinking white). I didn't expect the car to do that in manual mode so it caught me off guard and longer to process what was happening as at first I thought it got bumped in neutral :)
Must be a feature of the 4-pot - my V8 won't downshift on kickdown in manual mode. It only downshifts when the speed drops too low for the current gear. Anyone one with a three-quarter engine want to try it? ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Perhaps you only have three quarters of an accelerator pedal SCM?

Yes mine kicks all the way down to lowest gear if I get past the kick down "switch" which I estimate is at about 90% throttle.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
scm

Post by scm »

I definitely floored my throttle without a shiftdown - But it took some nerve, I can tell you! :D
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

So we are saying either V8's don't have the kickdown......
Or SCM only used 9/10's of his full engine and actually needs to press the loud pedal harder to get full throttle.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
scm

Post by scm »

simpleR wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:51 am So we are saying either V8's don't have the kickdown......
No, we're saying that the V8s don't appear to override manual mode by downshifting under WOT. ;)
blokijag52

Post by blokijag52 »

Hi there, my wife has a 2017 380s R Dynamic grey convertible. It is a fantastic car, without a doubt one of the most beautiful looking cars out there. It is amazing how this car changes from a quite placid commuter car, (yes she drives to work daily in it) to a full blown beast when you drive it in sport and dynamic mode, it totally transforms the car. I too am looking at changing the factory fitted Pirellis to the Michelins, hopefully this will improve things even further. Have had the drivers seat cover replaced because of flaking leather, not really expected on a car of this quality at 10000 miles, and also a supercharger bearing at the same time. Engine is rattly when cold, JLR says this is the petrol pump and is normal on F Types, is this info correct. Still a lovely eye catching car though
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I've got into the habit of knocking it into sport when braking into roundabouts etc. Just to hear it blip and crackle on the down changes. Then back into normal to continue on with the traffic flow.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
basher

Post by basher »

mickjaguar wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:43 pm I've got into the habit of knocking it into sport when braking into roundabouts etc. Just to hear it blip and crackle on the down changes. Then back into normal to continue on with the traffic flow.
Hooligan! 🤣😜
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁
ejefi

Post by ejefi »

mickjaguar wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:43 pm
I've got into the habit of knocking it into sport when braking into roundabouts etc. Just to hear it blip and crackle on the down changes. Then back into normal to continue on with the traffic flow.
Glad I'm not the only one that does that! :lol:
MY18 F-Type SVR Ultra Blue

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post