Late First Service

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
jono_h

Post by jono_h »

I've got my eye on an 5.0 R and simpleR has kindly looked up the spec, which shows that it's first service was 10 months late.
Does that make it one to steer clear of? It's from a main dealer with the years Jaguar warranty - which I'd probably want to extend.

Thanks, J.

PDI - April 15
1st Service - Feb 17 @ 6k miles
2nd Service - Jan 18
3rd Service - Jan 19

scm

Post by scm »

Mmm, I guess that depends on why it was so late - it may have been traded in and been sitting on a dealers lot until sold in Feb 17 and serviced then? Ask the dealer if that delay makes a difference to the warranty cover - get it in writing if you can, then you're covered.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
lewihoga

Post by lewihoga »

As long as you've checked the warranty is fine, then I wouldn't worry about it. It's done 6k miles! Some people here act like the F-Type is made of sand and will collapse if not serviced on exactly the month it is meant to be :lol:
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I've not seen anyone who has had issues caused by a late service nor any failing and falling into a pile of sand because of it.

I do wonder why you would buy a new R and drive around with the ding service overdue message for 10 months.

Worth looking into and asking why.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Tel

Post by Tel »

I've always timed my service to the day, minute and second...failure to do so may mean that your car will explode! ;-)
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
DarkLumen

Post by DarkLumen »

Perhaps I should take mine in for service......I've been ignoring it for a couple of weeks but then again I'm just going to hand it back to JLR at the end of the PCP and get a new one.
scm

Post by scm »

Tel wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:52 pm I've always timed my service to the day, minute and second...
I time mine to coincide with the MOT date - everything done in one hit. Then, if it fails, my indie hasn't done the service properly! :D
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
chicb

Post by chicb »

Better watch on your PCP, its not just a case of handing it back & driving off with a new one. When my last S class Merc went back they sent up a guy who checked everything, mileage, service, any scratches/dents, interior, tyres, wheels, everything. He probably spent about 40 mins. Upshot was he said there was dye transfer (jeans) on the white leather. I could not see it as I am OCD regarding cars. There was a charge for that, but they allow one or two minor things, so I was not charged. Pcp returns are now a big money spinner for them as a lot of people think they can do anything & return it, so they are looking to screw you where possible. Beware :oops:
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S
Backofthenet

Post by Backofthenet »

I do tend to leave a 2 or 3 months or so mainly as i only do around 2-3k miles per year and just can't believe a car that only does that sort of miles needs a service every 12 months on the dot.

Jag should be like BMW and have mileage based servicing rather than time based.

That being said i would not wait 10 months so worth checking why
chicb

Post by chicb »

Nothing to worry about, it had its 3rd service on Jan 19. First service is in the dim & distant past & it had only done 6k. What's to worry about. I get mine serviced annually but its only doing about 300 miles /year. I often wonder if they actually change the oil. :o The one thing they do check is the washer bottle as I make sure its full so they leave a bottle of washer fluid in the footwell (at my expense) :evil: :lol:
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post