Rear tyres

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
ScottJP

Post by ScottJP »

Good Afternoon, I haven't had my F-Type V8S for long and knew that the rear tyres didn't have oodles of tread, when I bought the car.

It seems to spin and 'shimmy' a little too easily for my liking, so I think that a new pair of Pirellis are in order.

The rears are 295/30, ZR 20 but, when Ive looked for prices online the ratings only seem to go up to 'Y' as opposed to 'ZR'.

I wondered what other people's experiences of this are as I assume that 'ZR' is probably standard and required?

Thanks in advance, Scott :?:
F-Type V8 S Convertible

scm

Post by scm »

Y is fine for the F-Type. However, lots of people consider the Pirellis to be less than optimal and recommend Michelin Pilot Sport 4S instead. I'm only on 5,000 miles so haven't had to think about tyres yet, but I think I'll give the Michelins a go when I change mine - feedback claims to "transform the car". I shall be interested in how that feels!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
M@r]{

Post by M@r]{ »

Go for some Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Camskill usually have competitive pricing, also an additional £20 off if you order a pair before the end of the month.
=========================
MY2019 Mclaren 720s Performance
MY2006 Lotus Exige "GT3"
MY2008 Westfield Megablade Track Car
MY2012 VW Camper (the family getaway / track car tow vehicle)
MY2013 Range Rover Evoque (the missus car)
RRB

Post by RRB »

+ 1 for the Michelins, the stock Pirellies are like driving on slicks on ice.....
2017 Black 400s convertible :D
Tel

Post by Tel »

Do not buy Pirelli - As others have mentioned; Michelin PS4S's are the way forward. They transform the car - Quieter and actually grip the tarmac!
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
scm

Post by scm »

RRB wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:12 pm + 1 for the Michelins, the stock Pirellis are like driving on slicks on ice.....
I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, unless slicks have reasonably good grip on ice. My AWD on Pirellis feels a lot more secure than my previous RWD XKR. The RWD V8s I understand can be a bit of handful on any tyres, which just adds to the excitement!
ScottJP

Post by ScottJP »

Thanks all - I'll look into getting some Michelins. I do like the idea of improving traction. Do these mix ok with Pirellis on the front?

I'm still a bit confused by the speed rating. What are you all running? Y or ZR?

Cheers, Scott
F-Type V8 S Convertible
scm

Post by scm »

Jaguar's load/speed specification in my manual is for 101Y for the rears and 97Y for the fronts. The tyre size is given as ZR20 (go figure). Y is good for up to 186mph, so should be "adequate". ;)
ScottJP

Post by ScottJP »

Thanks SCM! Its interesting that it says that in the manual (odd that there's a discrepancy too though). Should be fine, as you say but at Y they're only just approved for the speed of the vehicle, so there isn't much to spare. In practice they'll be fine of course, but that isn't how insurance companies work. Odd that I can only find Y listed online, but have ZR on the car. I'll do some more research when I get a mo.
F-Type V8 S Convertible
scm

Post by scm »

I just looked on the AA Tyres website and according to their table the Z rating sits at 150+mph between V and W. Y is the highest rated speed. I reckon the Z in Pirelli's ZR stands for (P)Zero. ;)

https://www.tyresonthedrive.com/advice/ ... read-tyres and scroll down to the speed index section.

Edit: And here's the Wikipedia page to add more mud! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code#Speed_rating

Seems the ZR is a variation on the old SR, HR and VR.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post