Fuel gauge stuck on 100%

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
davidd

Post by davidd »

Stick with it, I'm sure they will get it sorted.

johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

davidd wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:35 am Stick with it, I'm sure they will get it sorted.
Yes. I suppose I could do without it for a few weeks whilst they fix it.
2019 White P300 Coupe
KenC

Post by KenC »

johnsoncp wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:22 am I suppose this is what you would expect with a new car. Age is months (obviously).

Looking at this I think the best car to buy is one that is 4 months old.
Only if you can buy at trade prices as the graph of asking prices would be somewhat different especially in the firsy year.
2019 F-Type Coupe, P300 R Dynamic (Sold)
2016 Mini Countryman Cooper S All4.
2009 Ferrari 430 Scuderia.
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

KenC wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:46 pm
johnsoncp wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:22 am I suppose this is what you would expect with a new car. Age is months (obviously).

Looking at this I think the best car to buy is one that is 4 months old.
Only if you can buy at trade prices as the graph of asking prices would be somewhat different especially in the firsy year.
I'm sorry the thread is drifting off topic BUT I just looked at the used approved F-Types less than a year old and most cost more than mine new. Obviously comparing like with like.
2019 White P300 Coupe
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

When it comes to depreciation, remember that when you buy new, you can write off the VAT / GST immediately. Here it's 15%.
Sports cars are well known for their terrible depreciation. It's par for the course when driving a car like this. About the only brand I know that actually makes money is Ferrari (at 3 - 5x the price). Oh and POrsche, but let's not go there. I still can't get used to the look's of POrsche.

Surely if you bought this car new, it's all covered under warrenty ?
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

santoshlv426 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:01 pm When it comes to depreciation, remember that when you buy new, you can write off the VAT / GST immediately. Here it's 15%.
Sports cars are well known for their terrible depreciation. It's par for the course when driving a car like this. About the only brand I know that actually makes money is Ferrari (at 3 - 5x the price). Oh and POrsche, but let's not go there. I still can't get used to the look's of POrsche.

Surely if you bought this car new, it's all covered under warrenty ?
Thanks for the info. Yes it's covered under warranty but the dealers really drag their feet doing things. I sent one Jag for a DRL light issue and that took three days. I had my XJ serviced (an oil change) and that took two days so I assume these repairs will take several weeks. Plus the fact that whilst in their care the car risks being damaged and almost certainly will come back with grease on the seats and controls and a scratched kick plate. Just my experience of the dealers.
2019 White P300 Coupe
davidd

Post by davidd »

I'd change dealer..
Blueone

Post by Blueone »

Remember half of that depreciation (£7,500) is VAT. Nothing you can do about that.

I’m in the same boat as you but with a V6. Distinctly unimpressed with the F-Type. Jaguar really soured the buying process due to their incompetence. Sure it looks nice from certain angles but from others I look at it and no longer thing it’s that good looking. I guess it’s quite an old shape now. I also think they spoiled it with the facelift. If I could get rid of it tomorrow I would. But I’m not taking a £15,000 hit so may as well hang onto it. I don’t hate it, I just don’t think it’s worth £65k. Ever!

You’ve pointed out the big negative of buying a new car but there are lots of positives!

• Firstly speccing the exact car you want knowing that it’s ordered exactly how you wanted.

• Secondly the experience of driving a brand new car away. It’s an exciting experience and something that I certainly enjoyed.

• A main factor for me is that you know exactly how the car has been driven from day one. When I was considering new or used, I realised that I would be so paranoid about how the car had been driven by previous owners would really spoil my enjoyment of the car. I love knowing that I ran the car in and have treated it properly from the off. That’s worth a lot of money in my opinion.

• You also get a full 3 year warranty and customer care that you sometimes don’t get with used cars. Peace of mind is worth a lot and means I can enjoy the car with no worries at all.

• More favourable finance deals. Interest rates are cheaper and you get big finance contributions from both dealer and manufacturer.

Overall I think buying new was the right thing to do for me, and although the depreciation is hideous, that’s the trade off for all the positives I’ve listed and I’m okay with that.
MY20 F-Type P340
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

@John
If your dealer doesn't treat your car with respect, change them. My local dealer treats all cars with kit gloves even a 1980's Daimler they cover the seats with plastic before even sitting in it !
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

Parry_99

Post by Parry_99 »

You’re always going to take a hit buying brand new. I bought a pre-registered 400 Sport earlier in the year. I’ve not lost as much as I’d have lost buying new as I paid £19k less than list price and I still have a car that felt brand new on collection with less than 50 miles on the clock.

I have to say though, the reliability of mine and dealer customer service are appalling. I’ve tried my 3 nearest dealers now and all have let me down. I’ve had 2 new ECUs and new door seals. I’ve currently got faults with the infotainment system and the drivers seat back rest rocking forward and backward as I accelerate and decelerate.

I have to say I still love the looks and the noise but the ownership experience is awful.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post