Fuel gauge stuck on 100%

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
KenC

Post by KenC »

The connection between VAT and depreciation is a falacy. While new car prices clearly inlude VAT used prices are driven by supply and demand. A high demand or low suuply car will be worth a greater proportion of list (or even more than list) than a low demand or high supply car irrespective of VAT when new.
2019 F-Type Coupe, P300 R Dynamic (Sold)
2016 Mini Countryman Cooper S All4.
2009 Ferrari 430 Scuderia.

santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

For sure that will apply to the open market. My point pertians specifically if you had to buy a new car and then "trade it back to the dealer", or say a car dealership that's registered for tax.
when they purchase their "stock", they don't pay the sales tax, hence they will automatically offer less the tax as a minimum and then factor in further depreciation.
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

Thank you all for the comments. It does look like I'm not the only dissatisfied owner amongst the many thousands of happy ones. For Blueone to be unhappy with his V6 means it's not just the 4 pot that has issues.

I have owned Jaguars for many years. My first was a 1994 XJ6. At that time the dealers treated you like a royal but more recently they don't seem to care. The staff turnover is high and I am generally very unhappy with their consideration. I recently swapped dealers to buy the new car and haven't had any work done on the car since then. I will report back after work is carried out.

My XJ has a faulty blind spot monitor but it's out of warranty and I don't want to pay £1,000 to fix it. That's fine, the car isn't new. I don't expect faults with new cars. It's not a new model so it's not like there are teething problems.

Despite my complaints, I will probably end up replacing it with another Jag but I was expecting to keep this for many years and I really don't think that will happen now.
2019 White P300 Coupe
NCC

Post by NCC »

What a strange thread [emoji848]

The car you’ve bought has some teething issues. Nothing too major by the sounds of it and should all be sorted out under warranty, which as a new car buyer you’ve paid handsomely for. If the dealer doesn’t treat you as you expect them to, change dealer. Or, if it were me in your position and ‘local’ dealers are in short supply, I’d be kicking up a suitable stink until I got treated as I expect to be.

You’ve also bought a car that is disappointing you with its performance because you test drove it on roads not representative of your usual driving. Again, that’s a bit of a strange thing to do. Given you were buying new, didn’t you get a chance to take a car out for an extended time? I had more than one car, from the same dealer, for a half day each. For obvious reasons, they couldn’t bend over far enough to help me decide which engine I wanted and the exact spec that would suit me and my driving style, including the roads I drive on.

Then you say how disappointed you are with the depreciation. Fair enough, it is quite startlingly bad in the first months/years but I thought everyone buying a new car understood that? As a previous, maybe even a serial Jaguar owner, I’d have thought you would have been pretty switched on to this.

I’m not trying to have a go. Honestly! In fact I opened the thread to say I had a similar issue with the fuel gauge on my RRS. Topping it up again seems to fix it and it’s only intermittent for me, so not a big deal. The thread has all gone a bit OT though and it all seems very strange to me. It sounds like you’ve got a severe case of buyers remorse, that a bit of work upfront might have avoided.

Hope your cars issues gets fixed to your satisfaction ASAP and that you get chance to fall in love with the car that you clearly desired a great deal at one point, not too long ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MY2020 V6S RWD auto, Indus Silver, Pimento performance seats, Ebony suedecloth, Exterior carbon pack, Black 5039 alloys, Interior black pack, carbon console, heated steering wheel (vital!), climate pack, c/f dynamics, pointless ambient lighting!
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

NCC wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:15 pm What a strange thread [emoji848]

The car you’ve bought has some teething issues. Nothing too major by the sounds of it and should all be sorted out under warranty, which as a new car buyer you’ve paid handsomely for. If the dealer doesn’t treat you as you expect them to, change dealer. Or, if it were me in your position and ‘local’ dealers are in short supply, I’d be kicking up a suitable stink until I got treated as I expect to be.

You’ve also bought a car that is disappointing you with its performance because you test drove it on roads not representative of your usual driving. Again, that’s a bit of a strange thing to do. Given you were buying new, didn’t you get a chance to take a car out for an extended time? I had more than one car, from the same dealer, for a half day each. For obvious reasons, they couldn’t bend over far enough to help me decide which engine I wanted and the exact spec that would suit me and my driving style, including the roads I drive on.

Then you say how disappointed you are with the depreciation. Fair enough, it is quite startlingly bad in the first months/years but I thought everyone buying a new car understood that? As a previous, maybe even a serial Jaguar owner, I’d have thought you would have been pretty switched on to this.

I’m not trying to have a go. Honestly! In fact I opened the thread to say I had a similar issue with the fuel gauge on my RRS. Topping it up again seems to fix it and it’s only intermittent for me, so not a big deal. The thread has all gone a bit OT though and it all seems very strange to me. It sounds like you’ve got a severe case of buyers remorse, that a bit of work upfront might have avoided.

Hope your cars issues gets fixed to your satisfaction ASAP and that you get chance to fall in love with the car that you clearly desired a great deal at one point, not too long ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Firstly my apologies that the thread has gone out of control. This is due to the fact that I have become very frustrated with the car.

Over the last 30 years I have bought new cars manufactured by Ford, BMW, FIAT, Toyota, Mazda and Jaguar. i have never, ever, had a problem with any of these cars so I am extremely disappointed that the first troublesome car I have bought is the F-Type. There is no excuse for poor quality control.

My only reason for mentioning the depreciation is the fact that if I could, I would get rid of the F-Type immediately as it has fallen short of my expectations. Depreciation was the last thing on my mind as I expected to keep the car for many years.

I tried to buy one from my local Jaguar dealer and despite visits, phone calls and emails they seemed to have no interest in selling me one. So, I found my next nearest dealer. I corresponded with them over several days and arranged a visit. To be honest they didn't seem that bothered about selling one to me either. I would say they reluctantly let me drive a P300 for about 20 minutes. I expressed interest in the V6 and said my budget would allow me to buy one but they didn't offer a test drive and all the salesman said was if you can afford one you should get the V6.

So overall my experience has been very disappointing. I would love to know where you all get these incredibly obliging dealers. To be honest I am dreading taking the car back for repairs.
Last edited by johnsoncp on Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019 White P300 Coupe
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

And can I quickly add that the only cars the dealers were trying to sell were diesel XFs.
2019 White P300 Coupe
NCC

Post by NCC »

johnsoncp wrote:And can I quickly add that the only cars the dealers were trying to sell were diesel XFs.
Sorry it’s been so frustrating for you It sounds like the dealer you used CBA, which is very, very poor IMHO. I don’t blame you for being fed up of the whole thing if that’s the way the actual buying experience went! It doesn’t bode well for the future.

Not sure where you are in the country? I’m in West Yorkshire and have been very happy with my dealer. I’ve used them for years, both for Jaguar and Land Rover products. I guess I’ve built up a bit of a relationship with the sales side of both parts of the business and the after sales too, as not all have been perfect cars either. Being completely honest, I do get treat very well indeed, from reception through to the workshops. I don’t think I’m unusual in this respect from what I’ve seen while I’ve been in the dealership. I suspect it comes down to dealer principles and their willingness to ensure their colleagues behave appropriately.

Genuinely sorry it’s all turned into a sour deal for you. I’ve been there once, many years ago, with a Honda of all things. Supposedly one of the most respected brands at the time but the only new car I’ve ever had that I hated and flipped as soon as I could.

Like most F-Type buyers but obviously not all, I’m delighted with my current car and looking forward to some decent weather again, one day, maybe, just possibly, to enjoy it properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MY2020 V6S RWD auto, Indus Silver, Pimento performance seats, Ebony suedecloth, Exterior carbon pack, Black 5039 alloys, Interior black pack, carbon console, heated steering wheel (vital!), climate pack, c/f dynamics, pointless ambient lighting!
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I can understand your current mindset, having experienced similar things in the past. I always wondered if BMW and Merc dealers were just generally better at handling problems rather than having better cars (I really don't think the cars are any better). In simple terms, for anything bought, if a problem is resolved quickly and without fuss, it has gone away and we remain satisfied, I had a shoddy experience with Peugeot aftersales, which left a bitter taste, and have never bought another.

Unfortunately it does seem to depend on the personnel at the dealership, The salesman at first Jag dealer we went to couldn't be bothered, even though we were potentially interested in buying both an F type and an XE, However, the next dealership was altogether different, excellent for both sales and service. Remarkably good in fact. An issue with my door alignment on delivery was fixed rapidly and later on some side window scratches sorted double quick. In fact, anything even slightly mentioned was pounced on in a flash. Very impressive.

Unfortunately now, the service side here after four years is not what it was and is mediocre at best, so I'll be looking for somewhere else now. It appears that the deterioration coincided with a change in the management team at this particular dealership. To me, it feels like a 'time is money' philosophy i.e. they now want to spend the absolute minimum time, just as long as they get your money! Which is very short sighted as they've lost now two cars for servicing as well as two potential future sales.

However, as mentioned in another thread, people move around so there's likely to be a good dealer principal and service team somewhere else.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

There is a thread on here somewhere of a car with the window issue. Turned out the guy's passenger was closing the door by pushing on the glass instead of the door. The glass had to be re-adjusted. Just out of interest when you filled with fuel you did not keep on clicking the nozzle to get more in the tank did you. As the tank has an air gap. When it clicks off you stop. The Evoque had a similar issue & it was me that kept trying to get more fuel in the tank. Once I was told not to do that the problem never returned. Just a thought. The faults you have would not put me off the car though, they are pretty trivial. Not like a major mechanical fault.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

NCC wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:49 pm
johnsoncp wrote:And can I quickly add that the only cars the dealers were trying to sell were diesel XFs.
Sorry it’s been so frustrating for you It sounds like the dealer you used CBA, which is very, very poor IMHO. I don’t blame you for being fed up of the whole thing if that’s the way the actual buying experience went! It doesn’t bode well for the future.

Not sure where you are in the country? I’m in West Yorkshire and have been very happy with my dealer. I’ve used them for years, both for Jaguar and Land Rover products. I guess I’ve built up a bit of a relationship with the sales side of both parts of the business and the after sales too, as not all have been perfect cars either. Being completely honest, I do get treat very well indeed, from reception through to the workshops. I don’t think I’m unusual in this respect from what I’ve seen while I’ve been in the dealership. I suspect it comes down to dealer principles and their willingness to ensure their colleagues behave appropriately.

Genuinely sorry it’s all turned into a sour deal for you. I’ve been there once, many years ago, with a Honda of all things. Supposedly one of the most respected brands at the time but the only new car I’ve ever had that I hated and flipped as soon as I could.

Like most F-Type buyers but obviously not all, I’m delighted with my current car and looking forward to some decent weather again, one day, maybe, just possibly, to enjoy it properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. I live in Buckinghamshire. Having been to Yorkshire many times (my Mum was born there) I can appreciate the more friendly dealers. I think mine is just a box shifter if you know what I mean.
2019 White P300 Coupe

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post