Fuel gauge stuck on 100%

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

My fuel gauge has been working fine but the last time I filled the car to the top and then I parked it and didn't drive it for about a week. The fuel gauge in the car is stuck on 100%. The app also says 100%. I have driven about 100 miles since filling (approximately 1/4 tank) and whilst the range is going down correctly the gauge is not changing. I'm half wondering if the float in the tank has got stuck at the top.I have tried driving over bumps to free it without success.

Has anyone experienced this or any ideas?

Thanks.
2019 White P300 Coupe

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Unsure what model and year you have. Perhaps add a signature.

There were two people on the forum in 2015 reporting floats in tank sticking. So gauge reporting higher and not matching range. No resolutions reported after dealer trips other than filling back up.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

simpleR wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:25 pm Unsure what model and year you have. Perhaps add a signature.

There were two people on the forum in 2015 reporting floats in tank sticking. So gauge reporting higher and not matching range. No resolutions reported after dealer trips other than filling back up.
Thank you. My car is the P300. It's about 3 months old and done 500 miles.

I guess I'll just have to add this fault to the window fault. Probably best I wait a few more weeks to get all the other faults discovered and then I can book it in for repairs.
2019 White P300 Coupe
Chrissyg

Post by Chrissyg »

johnsoncp wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:13 am I guess I'll just have to add this fault to the window fault. Probably best I wait a few more weeks to get all the other faults discovered and then I can book it in for repairs.
Make sure you take it in with an empty tank ;)
20MY D240 RR Velar - Firenze Red
200tdi Defender 90
Ex-MOD SWB Series III Land Rover
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

Chrissyg wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:31 am
johnsoncp wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:13 am I guess I'll just have to add this fault to the window fault. Probably best I wait a few more weeks to get all the other faults discovered and then I can book it in for repairs.
Make sure you take it in with an empty tank ;)
If I'm not careful, given that I don't have a fuel gauge, that could happen at any time.

I must admit I'm starting to think I've made a mistake buying this car. I've posted several things about it but I don't like the fact that the car changes up too soon, the passenger window is hitting the chrome surround and now the fuel gauge doesn't work.

The car value has dropped like a stone. I bought it new for £45,000 with dealer discount and finance deposit allowance. I did a valuation to get rid of it and the dealer is saying £30,000. That's a drop of £15,000 in 3 months. If anyone had bought it at full recommended price of £55,000 (with the options I have) the car would have dropped 45% in 3 months. The funny thing is it has a guaranteed future value of £22,000 in 4 years. So in my case it loses £15,000 in 3 months and then £8,000 in the next 45 months. All very strange.
2019 White P300 Coupe
scm

Post by scm »

You'll always take a big hit as soon as you drive it off the forecourt, you don't want to pay too much heed to that, so long as you aren't selling in the very near future.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

scm wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:59 am You'll always take a big hit as soon as you drive it off the forecourt, you don't want to pay too much heed to that, so long as you aren't selling in the very near future.
It was always my intention to keep this car for many years but it has fallen well below my expectations. I think the biggest mistake was getting the 2 litre. I'm sort of getting used to that now but when I start getting mechanical issues as well it is rubbing salt in the wound. I'm just totally fed up with it now. If I was starting again I would buy a 2 or 3 year old V8.
2019 White P300 Coupe
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

I suppose this is what you would expect with a new car. Age is months (obviously).

Looking at this I think the best car to buy is one that is 4 months old.

depreciation.png

2019 White P300 Coupe
Tel

Post by Tel »

Surely you would have researched performance and resale values BEFORE you bought the car if these are important to you :shock:

Anyway, I'm sure once the niggles are sorted , you will be fine...until they give you a V6 or 8 as a loaner ;)
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

Tel wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:07 am Surely you would have researched performance and resale values BEFORE you bought the car if these are important to you :shock:

Anyway, I'm sure once the niggles are sorted , you will be fine...until they give you a V6 or 8 as a loaner ;)
I wasn't concerned about resale as I wanted to keep it for many years. I test drove the 2 litre but the problem was that it was all fast dual carriageways and didn't represent my real driving.

As you say once all the faults are fixed I'm sure I will grow to love the car. I still think it looks fantastic. If they loan me a V6 or V8 then I've had it but the loan cars I've had are XE, XF and ePace so far.

I also own an XJ which is the car I am using most of the time.
2019 White P300 Coupe

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post