USB Sticks

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Plymothian

Post by Plymothian »

Hi all,

Since Jaguar, in their infinite wisdom, removed Spotify from the InControl apps, I'm going back to using a USB stick for my music.

I used to use a SanDisk Cruzer Blade 32GB, but I wanted to have more than 32GB so bought a SanDisk Ultra Flair 128GB, which is a 3.0 drive with up to 150MB/s read speed. The drive is formatted in FAT32.

When I plug this in though, the USB drive immediately shows up under 'Source' but is greyed out. I have completed some long journeys and the drive is still greyed out after 4 hours or more of being plugged in.

The USB drive works in all other devices, so it's not a complete waste of £20, but can anyone recommend a 128GB or a 64GB drive that is compatible with Jaguar's infotainment systems?

MY19.5, F-Type V6 3.0 P380 RWD Coupe
Santorini Black, Pan Roof, Parking Pack, Cirrus Leather

devbrodie

Post by devbrodie »

Following, because I have the same issue- SanDisk 128gb drive formatted as FAT32 but not recognised by car, yet 128gb iPod is recognised - want to use USB as iPod is v.old and not reliable anymore
MY18 - F-Type 3L V6 R-dynamic AWD
Black Pack
Driver Pack
Winter Pack
Performance Seats
Meridian Surround Sound
Jagman100

Post by Jagman100 »

I was in the same boat when Spotify was disabled from InControl Apps a few weeks ago and so I tried a USB and it wouldn’t work for me either so assuming you have a Spotify account just Bluetooth your phone for music into the car, this is done in the phone setup menu of the car, then just choose Bluetooth in the Audio menu on you car and you can view and play all your Spotify account from your phone, it works for me, another way is to plug a jack plug cable into your headphone socket of your phone (if it has one) and into the USB of the car and select Auxiliary and play on your phone, that works too...
I’m also getting (for Christmas I’m told) a decent F Type phone holder that was recommended on here a few weeks ago that clips it securely onto the centre grab rail, I can post a link to it again if anyone is interested, but fiddling with USB’s is not the way forward, for me anyway, hope this helps...
2016 V8 R AWD Coupe Italian Racing Red, Black Alloys & Pano Roof
Plymothian

Post by Plymothian »

Jagman100 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:08 pm
I’m also getting (for Christmas I’m told) a decent F Type phone holder that was recommended on here a few weeks ago that clips it securely onto the centre grab rail, I can post a link to it again if anyone is interested, but fiddling with USB’s is not the way forward, for me anyway, hope this helps...
I'm definitely interested in the phone holder. I've used Spotify over Bluetooth, but with nowhere put the phone at present, I'm kinda limited when wanting to change the music.

USB is better quality audio than Spotify over Bluetooth, if you're using lossless WAV or WMA files. I have some playlists on my USB drive which I'd like to keep too.

Can you share the phone holder link though? I'd like that as well as finding a USB drive that works :)
scm

Post by scm »

How have you organised the files on the USB stick? Maybe that's causing the issue.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Jagman100

Post by Jagman100 »

Phone holder link here

https://www.knightspeed.co.uk/shop/jagu ... -holder-1/

Kind regards,

Steve
2016 V8 R AWD Coupe Italian Racing Red, Black Alloys & Pano Roof
ml276

Post by ml276 »

the scosche magnetic dash mount is pretty solid and costs ~ £15. keeps the phone within closer reach than the grab rail holders imo
MY16 V6S Coupe Corris Grey
SWC

Post by SWC »

When you format the drive, FAT 32 is fine but set the partition map to MBR (Master Boot Record) not the newer GUID style. See if this helps?
F-Type Coupe P300 - British Racing Green
Plymothian

Post by Plymothian »

The drive is in FAT32 and the files are organised in folders. Some with the music files immediately in them, others with subfolders too.

The frustrating thing is I plugged the USB stick into my wife's Q3 and it just works straight away.

Why does Jaguar tech have to be so awkward?
Plymothian

Post by Plymothian »

SWC wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:30 am When you format the drive, FAT 32 is fine but set the partition map to MBR (Master Boot Record) not the newer GUID style. See if this helps?
I'll have a look into this. I used the default format settings last time.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post