Frozen Locks

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Kricho

Post by Kricho »

I’ve been enjoying my new F-Type this year but, now the frost has come, I am having issues with my doors.
Harwoods keep telling me they have “never” seen this before. Looking for some advice on how to prevent the freeze!
When the car gets frosty, I can open the doors but then not close them. The doors just bounce and the locking mechanism won’t engage at all. If I hold the door shut, the window bobs up and down but the lock itself doesn’t engage at all.
Most of the time it makes no sound, this morning it was clicking so sounded like something was trying (unsuccessfully) to do something.
This morning I poured room temperature water over the door - this was top of the panel up and around the handle. To my surprise this did the job and I was off and away, just managing to catch my train.
I was surprised this worked as I had assumed something inside the door was freezing but it worked immediately after I chucked the room temperature water over it.
Separate problem jaguar have been trying to work through for two weeks is my In Control account not being set up so I can’t even get the car warmed up before try the doors.
Any ideas??
P380 R-Dynamic AWD
Satin Matte

Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

The locks freeze due to moisture in the lock mechanism. I had exactly the same on an Audi. I wouldn’t put water on it directly as this just introduces more moisture for future problems. Try to dry the lock with a hairdryer or similar then apply some light spray grease to prevent moisture getting in again. Good luck
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

And I strongly recommend you to put some rubber conditioner "Gummipflege" or lightly smear Vaseline around all the door rubbers - if not you'll find yourself nearly pulling the door handle off trying to open the doors too!
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
scm

Post by scm »

I've had this on all three of my previous Jaguars (XK8, 4.2 XKR and 5.0 XKR) but haven't had my F-Type in this situation yet. I've found I could eventually fix it by repeatedly slamming the door until it decides to stay shut.

Not surprised dealers haven't come acros this since I doubt owners would want to shell out their labour rates to be told "it's fine in our workshop", and it's a self-fixing problem after a few minutes. Just very inconvenient.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
SWC

Post by SWC »

"Gummipflege" - Forgot about that just done it!

Thanks for the reminder.

Freezing locks used to be a regular occurrence on my Vantage - as said above hot water may solve the immediate problem but if we have a stretch of freezing weather will only make things worse, I think WD 40 do a lock de-icer?

Never used it myself.
F-Type Coupe P300 - British Racing Green
chicb

Post by chicb »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/De-ICER-DOOR ... SwWy5dxfxD
Lock de-icer spray, small keep in your pocket
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Kricho wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:41 am Looking for some advice on how to prevent the freeze!
When the car gets frosty, I can open the doors but then not close them. The doors just bounce and the locking mechanism won’t engage at all.
I use a pre-icer ‘night before’ anti-icing spray (see photos).

If the forecast is for freezing temperatures I apply a few squirts of this thick liquid along the bottom of the window glass where it meets the rubber seal and door panel moulding. This helps prevent the area from freezing up which makes it easier for the window glass to drop down slightly (as it should), when you open the door.

If your having problems with the door lock/handle freezing up, you could try applying this anti-icing spray on that area the night before.

Never try to force the door shut if your door window glass is frozen and it doesn’t move freely. This is because it will not drop sufficiently enough to clear the moulding on the roof/windscreen pillars (coupe) and you could end up smashing the window glass or damaging the window mechanism.

1.JPG

2.JPG

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Few comment on above

Never use Vaseline on seals. It’s petroleum based and will destroy the seals. Gummipfledge is the correct product
Don’t use WD40 on the locks. While it’s a water dispersant (WD) it sets like tar over time and will gum up the locks

As above water not good as that’s what’s causing the issue. I’m many cars it’s the Bowden cables between lock and handle mechanisms. Only real fix is a strip down and replace or lubricate properly

Sorry but struggled with these exact issue on 2 BMW’s for a decade
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

SWC wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:31 am "Gummipflege" - Forgot about that just done it!

Thanks for the reminder.
Well I mentioned it, but haven't done it :lol:
Must remember at the weekend!

And yep, not sure where the Vaseline idea came from - ignore that one.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

I've always sprayed my rubbers with silicone spray, a few times over the winter, keeps enough water out usually to save thing freezing solid.
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.