Frozen Locks

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Philskill wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:17 pm I've always sprayed my rubbers with silicone spray, a few times over the winter, keeps enough water out usually to save thing freezing solid.
OP’s issue has nothing to do with door seals, but what you do is sensible maintenance

Given the door opens but the lock mechanism doesn’t set itself to latch the door then the issue is inside the door, either the lock or a bowden cable
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

Kricho

Post by Kricho »

Yes - door opens, window still moves properly and freely. It’s just the latch which then doesn’t engage. I thought the cable might be freezing inside but now not so sure... room temperature water shouldn’t have any impact surely? It’s a 19 car, it’s first winter...
P380 R-Dynamic AWD
Satin Matte
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

It's not the using of warm water to defrost your initial problem thats the issue, as GusA said (Note i've re-read the thread thanks CJ10Jeeper) if you introduce more water into the cable and lock you risk it being a bigger problem the following night as it's unlikely to have dried out.
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
alanva

Post by alanva »

Another solution is to use one of the many universal car covers which just go over the roof and all the windows and are secured by plastic
hooks on elastics, which can be attached to the wheels, etc. Aldi and Lidl do very cheap ones. They take minutes to put on or take off. I have used them successfully many times - but not on the f-type, which resides in the garage!
2014 V6 Coupe. Salsa Red, Black full leather, glass roof, 19" alloys, switchable exhaust, reverse camera, black tyres, glass windows. NOW SOLD!
2011 Infiniti fx 50 SUV 5.0 V8
2008 Mercedes C230 2.5 V6
2006 BMW X5 Sport 4.4 V8
Arne

Post by Arne »

You can also try with a plastic bag full of warm water. Just hold the bag gently over the doorhandle area for a few minutes.
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8
Bespoy

Post by Bespoy »

I have had a similar problem with my 2017 F-Type. Even in moderately frozen conditions the doors would freeze, "bounce" once opened etc. Fortunately it was still under Jaguar warranty. Apparently there was a now deleted Jaguar service bulletin on this problem advising the dealer to change the door mechanism. My local dealer couldn't find the bulletin but I insisted they replaced the mechanism which they eventually did. The new mechanism has an additional grommet that prevents water ingress and therefore, prevents the frozen door syndrome. I can now get into my car without any issues, it was a battle with the dealer but it was definitely worth it!
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

I used to use a small puffer bottle of graphite powder in Switzerland blown into the key slot.

There certainly seem to be a few issues with the F - window seals / door seals / mechanism that can all gang up on you.

Had to go out this morning to drop the wife's Aygo off to have warranty work put right - so not just JLR then!

I used a hard nylon bristle cleaning brush (about 2"x1/2") along the window seal to remove all the granular snow and small lumps of ice and that worked very well.

However, although the windows dropped and the doors shut without bouncing, the driver's side door handle didn't retract - no warning message and no joy with the interior lock button, although you could see it was trying.

...I had to put the roof down to take my mind off it and enjoy the drive :D
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust