List of "timing bombs" and solutions - the big issues list

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
MrJag

Post by MrJag »

Hello!

There is plenty of information here about issues with F-Types and info for both owners potentional buyers. I am personaly in the proces of considering the car (about 4 y.o) and what I am missing is the "big list". If it is here, I am sorry and be that kind to forward me that way... Thanks!
By the big list I mean consistent issues and what to look for that are major and what can be done.

So far, what I have found to start:

1) water pumps failing
- solution: new design available from Jaguar
I have found that newer design is available so it should be solvable. Do you know how much is the newer design and is there any way how to check if the car is fitted with the new one?
https://www.google.com/search?biw=2133& ... CAs&uact=5

2) water cooling hoses failing
- solution: ???
This is my biggest fear buying the car. I have found several people whom the pipes exploded and took the engine with it. I didn't find if Jaguar made newer parts that are OK? Is there any way, how to prevent this and change to better design? Someone said aluminum hoses but how I can do that, there are several parts that looks special, how to do the right diameters etc? Can it be solved? I am honestly scared that these fragile pipes explode somewhere in the Alps and I will be doomed!
https://www.google.com/search?q="f-type ... 3&bih=1053

3) intake and exhaust valves rattles
- solution: ???
I have found several threads about weird sounds from the valves, bad clearances on solid exhaust valves and failing hydro valves on the intake side. Is there any way how to check, and again, is newer design available?

4) supercharger spring::
- solution: solid piece design?
Is there any risks running the solid piece? One would say the spring have a function...
Last edited by MrJag on Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Interesting first post. Four issues I've not seen before.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
MrJag

Post by MrJag »

Yeah I am kind of into cars and do a lot of research prior buying. Honestly F-Type is my dream car and I want to use it for long trips (like 5000 km/trip) and this thing for me is a major investment. So reliability and the fact the car won't (hopefuly) eat me alive is important. Obviously I know that everything can go wrong in any machine, but you know how I mean this.
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

I have been on this forum for some time now & those issues are new to me too. The exhaust bypass at the rear of the car sometimes get sticky & seize but repairable. The faults you mention I have never heard of.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
MrJag

Post by MrJag »

steviegtr wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:18 pm I have been on this forum for some time now & those issues are new to me too. The exhaust bypass at the rear of the car sometimes get sticky & seize but repairable. The faults you mention I have never heard of.
I have added some links to each problem from jaguarforum.com. I am from Europe and somewhat find this forum better so I joined here.
scm

Post by scm »

I think folks on the US forum have experienced water pump failure, and I had that on my previous XKR which is pretty much the same engine. Well, not actual failure, but the seal started weeping and my independent suggested changing it before it became an issue. I do think these cars are pretty robust and reliable, apart from occasional electrical gremlins (it is a Jag, after all!).

One thing to consider is that a lot of the US guys are fans of modding, so that may feed into reliability issues.

IME, Jaguars are reliable cars so long as you look after them and stay on top of servicing and maintenance (this F-Type is my fourth Jaguar, but first F-Type).
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Wow not ventured onto the US forum before!

Items and 1 and 2 seem to be the same thing. A few of the links are not x152, some are people who have installed the larger pulley etc and now reporting issues. Everyone seems to want to use an independent when out of warranty who want to replace everything oddly. I presume things are different in the US. I recall someone needing a new expansion cap over here.

Item 3. The V6 is a bit tappy on cold start. It goes away when warm. This is because it doesn't have hydraulic lifters I recall and is normal as long as it goes away when warm.

Item 4. The V8 links all don't seem to be UK related.

My advice like buying any car would be buy one that has been looked after and driven and if possible from a used Jaguar dealer so you get the 1yr extended warranty.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
MrJag

Post by MrJag »

Thank you for your input.
Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

Hello

All I can say is my F type is 3 years old this coming May .. and the only warranty claim I had was a broken rear parcel shelf bracket .. also owned 2 RR Evoques and they have been totally trouble free

And don't get me started on my BMW purchases .... Z3M roadster rear sub frame spot weld failures ! and our new mini one & new mini cooper .. mini one had a new windscreen wiper mechanism on day one of pick up ... both had new door seals due to glass creaking on the seals (frame less windows)

oh .... then my Z4M roadster ... spinning big end shells and failed cam follower bearings, then my Z4 E89 35is had cracked alloy wheels and a new high pressure fuel pump in the 1st year of ownership

and .. my numerous E85 z4 3.0 purchases with sticking steering issues in hot weather !!!! see you got me started now :lol:

z4 broken rear springs .. cracked rear brake light ... BMW ultimate driving machine :D

Oh Yes I nearly forgot .. our X3 that decided to dump the whole contents of the washer bottle fluid into the rear of the carpet and done thousands of pounds of damage and all the electronic modules are located under the seats ... because they run the pipe under the carpet to the rear wash wipe system with a cheap Halfords type inline joiner

etc etc etc :roll: and what is the point of this response .. err .cant remember now :lol:
MrJag

Post by MrJag »

My close friend have an independent garage specialized on BMW and M cars... The stories are tragic. To add to your extensive list I can mentions bend engine blocks, dozens of cars catching fire from EGR and do not let me start on crank bearings... But water pipes exploding on AJ126/AJ133 engines and taking the engine with themselves are not nice too

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post